Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me set-up wired network

Options
  • 17-11-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    When I had the house wired about 3 years ago now I had the Sparky put in CAT5 cable so that once I got Broadband installed I could plug my desktop/laptop directly into the network point in the various rooms. I got Airwire (Wireless BB) installed last Feb and at the time the installer didn't want to touch Eircom cables which my sparky seems to have used as a loop point for my CAT5.

Not a great explanation perhaps but see the pics of the connection:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/tinofapples/Home/HPIM4120.jpg

Can I connect the respective coloured cables in the picture to each other to create a loop ? Will this affect the cables in use by Eircom for telephone ? How exactly can these cables be connected ?

Asking the sparky is last resort as he's not around and I'd prefer to solve this myself if at all possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Are you just wanting to set up telephones in a few rooms or set up a network point somewhere???

This is a common thing done by Electrians. a lot of them dont realise just cause you can loop twin and earth that everything can be looped, bloody idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Eoghan,
    I'd like to make use of a Network point either in the sitting room or "study" or maybe both. Is it a big job ?

Last night I tried connecting the CAT5 into the outlet on my wireless router in the attic but all that seemed to do was disrupte the phone.:mad:

thanks

See your sparky didnt wire up your house for a network, he just used whatever cable he had in the van (cat5) to run your telephone wires. Now it is possible to wire a network point you only need 2 pairs, 4 wires. What you'd have to find out is if there are 4 wires going from one room to another. I had the exact same set up in a clients house recently. Now Ive about 2k worth of testing and tracing kit so I was able to do it quickly but this might be a bit tricky.. Are you familiar with this kind of wiring??

FusionNet wrote: »
    See your sparky didnt wire up your house for a network, he just used whatever cable he had in the van (cat5) to run your telephone wires. Now it is possible to wire a network point you only need 2 pairs, 4 wires. What you'd have to find out is if there are 4 wires going from one room to another. I had the exact same set up in a clients house recently. Now Ive about 2k worth of testing and tracing kit so I was able to do it quickly but this might be a bit tricky.. Are you familiar with this kind of wiring??

Not really familiar with it,no. What would I have to do ? I'd have to consider getting someone in who knows what they're doing. Would it cost much to get it going roughly ?

Now it is possible to wire a network point you only need 2 pairs, 4 wires.

What exactly do you mean by that ? Does it have to be any specific combination of 2 pairs ? All the phone line seems to be using is the blue and white and blue wire. Would connecting the remaining wires together simply create a loop (network) ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What is going on in that picture ?

What type of face plate is that, CAT5e wallplate or RJ32 wallplate?

Will try answer the question..

Once the cable is there you should be ok, to create some sort of a network.

Just wire up the wall plates correctly in each room. And where they meet back split them off.

ethcable03.gif

Blue & Blue white don't take part in communcation on cat5e. So you can join them together for Telephone use.

As for the other cables excluding brown & brown white, they cant be joined together.

Split them off into there own wallplates or RJ45 connections into the modem,router or switch.

Joining the other cables together will cause a signal loss over the distance and a crash if two computer are using the network at the same time.

Hope this helps !

What is going on in that picture ?

What type of face plate is that, CAT5e wallplate or RJ32 wallplate?

That's the eircom wall plate for the telephone connection.

ok Tino,

MSG11 was almost right but it might be confusing if your not familiar with networks.

Right, your first question.. When we wire up networks we wire them up with 8 wires. This is a future proof. See 100mb networks only require 4 wires for tx and rx where as 1gb networks require all 8 cables. Right Im really odd about doing things right but in home situations you have to wire with what you've been given. All you need to make the network work from one room to another is 4 wires.

I can do this in less than an hour usually depending on how badly wired it is but most proper IT guys should be the same, that'd cost you €55. Might be worth the expence if your not comfortable with wiring.

Where abouts are you based?

To be honest I wouldn't have to think twice about paying a pro that money to get what I want done.

I'm in North East Co.Galway, almost in Co.Roscommon in fact. You anywhere nearby ?

My latest attempt was to connect the remaining wires together at the eircom connection i.e green to green orange to orange and so on. After doing this I connected the cat5 in the attic into one of the outlet slots on my router, still nothing coming down the line

Heya,

Im actually in Athlone, Portlaoise and Kilkenny in the next five days working on clients sites, is that anywhere near you?

• Advertisement

Athlone is actually only 20 mins away but probably too late to be telling you that now.I've been away from internet access since wed.

You around Athlone Monday by any chance ?

Apologies for not been able to get back to you sooner BTW.

Looks like Ill be up that way probably Tuesday or Wednesday, PM me your details and Ill get in touch...

Advertisement