Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery Channels - Galactic Aligment ramblings

Options
  • 17-11-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Long time lurker - :cool: Let me preface my post by saying I have a passing / casual insterest in astronomy with little actual knowledge!

Im a huge fan of the documentary channels, big fan of Michio Kaku and some of the other regularly featured guys as I find they make a lot of complex ideas accessible.

Im beginning to wonder and question how some of the material is presented on these documantary channels though? Im not claiming anyone is a fraud etc but I think at times the documentaries would allow you to make assumptions that youre being given actual facts, as opposed to plausible theories , or even loose speculation in a lot of instances?

For instance, recently there's been a lot of documentaries on the back of this 2012 movie....a lot of them present the Mayan Calenedar as a point of reference and cross reference this with the Galactic Alignment ?

A quick google ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2012+Galactic+Alignment ;) ) and you start to find this idea of a galactic alignment 21Dec2012 is by no means a precise business ???? http://2012wiki.com/index.php?title=Galactic_Alignment.

Im wondering how much other information, is mis-represented, or presented in a way that accomadates or provokes the casual viewers interest?

To over exaggerate what I mean , its like the idea of an astonmical 2012 Glactic alignment = certain doom , lets trot out a few brainy professors to speculate or explain a theory and wham we're in business?

Have you guys here noted any such similar cases from an astronomy view point?

Just a little thing thats been bugging me....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

Trev M wrote: »
    Long time lurker - :cool: Let me preface my post by saying I have a passing / casual insterest in astronomy with little actual knowledge!

Im a huge fan of the documentary channels, big fan of Michio Kaku and some of the other regularly featured guys as I find they make a lot of complex ideas accessible.

Im beginning to wonder and question how some of the material is presented on these documantary channels though? Im not claiming anyone is a fraud etc but I think at times the documentaries would allow you to make assumptions that youre being given actual facts, as opposed to plausible theories , or even loose speculation in a lot of instances?

For instance, recently there's been a lot of documentaries on the back of this 2012 movie....a lot of them present the Mayan Calenedar as a point of reference and cross reference this with the Galactic Alignment ?

A quick google ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2012+Galactic+Alignment ;) ) and you start to find this idea of a galactic alignment 21Dec2012 is by no means a precise business ???? http://2012wiki.com/index.php?title=Galactic_Alignment.

Im wondering how much other information, is mis-represented, or presented in a way that accomadates or provokes the casual viewers interest?

To over exaggerate what I mean , its like the idea of an astonmical 2012 Glactic alignment = certain doom , lets trot out a few brainy professors to speculate or explain a theory and wham we're in business?

Have you guys here noted any such similar cases from an astronomy view point?

Just a little thing thats been bugging me....

Check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKtkWIx00A is about the 2012 and that Nibiru, funny if he wasnt using it to scare people

This guys is nuts and the worst thing of all is that people (he has over 4000 fans) actually believe his caca!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Scoti wrote: »
    Check this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKtkWIx00A is about the 2012 and that Nibiru, funny if he wasnt using it to scare people

This guys is nuts and the worst thing of all is that people (he has over 4000 fans) actually believe his caca!!

Scoti , dosent he ( caca play with real madrid ) :p

I think its just some people like to blow everything out of proportion re science & the doom and gloom theory , fact / fiction almost follow the same path at times :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Indeed - its the blurring of the lines that I think really does some of the documentaries and work of really talented people a dis service though. I watched a good show a while ago about the possibility of life on other planets, it went through the actual missions that have been conducted, collecting samples for analysis etc and then lept to CGI , men in black type graphics which made the whole thing a little annoying.

Ive watched a good bit of you tube stuff , I find its hard to get good science that hasnt been hijacked by the loony brigade:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

Maybe the 'looney brigade' should be hi-jacked and ridden like a roller-coaster. Converting them to sense seems a pointless cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

They'll make you eat your words when the world blows up Dec 2012:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

Stargate wrote: »
    Scoti , dosent he ( caca play with real madrid ) :p

I think its just some people like to blow everything out of proportion re science & the doom and gloom theory , fact / fiction almost follow the same path at times :cool:

hehehe

That's Kaka!

Just in case, Caca means, well, dont think I am allowed to say it, but is the same as Cac in Irish Gaelic

Advertisement