Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4, execellent documentary's on history

Options
  • 17-11-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Well I'll tell you one thing, it's generally excellent when it comes to history as far as I'm concerned. Last night 10.55 their was a programme on about the Rapairí or Rapparees, bands of raiders form the 1690's on. It is to continue next week.

Their is also one about the border, Teorainn on Wed at 9.30 ( it's made in conjunction with BBC N.I. and is a bit too " lets not be too hard on the british role in it " sort of approach, propably because it was made in conjunction with BBC N.I. but worth a watch all the same).

Also their's one on the cowboys of the Wild West, 8.30 Friday, this time about Buffalo Bill.

All the programmes are sub titled.
    http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/scei/scei.asp?Dt=2009-11-23

Now very regretfully I am not much of an Irish speaker, ok like most thers I could blame the De La Salle brothers for making me resent it with their Gestapo methods, it's always on my to do list to start taking leesons again in the language but ofcourse never get around to it. But I must say some of the history programmes are very good and make a good change from the History channell's endless programs about WW2 and Ice Road Truckers etc ( what the feck Ice Road Truckers is doing on a History channell anyway )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't get to see that many of them but the ones I catch tend to be high quality. The one event I would love to see them cover is the Carrickshock incident 1831 - I posted about it before and it is odd that it has sank from the national conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fantastic documentaries on the station.
    And with their other programs like Aifric or Ros na Run it's the only RTE channel I'd watch, unless there is sport on RTE 2.

I've seen documentaries:
    The San Patricios Brigade in the Mexican Army. And a film on this too!
    Franklin and the Northwest passage
    And Mobs Mheiriceá, certainly a lot of tough Irish gangsters in America in the last century!

All subtitled and it's a great way to pick up a bit of Irish. If you're like me, any love you had for the language may have been scared out of you in secondary school :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Morlar wrote: »
    I don't get to see that many of them but the ones I catch tend to be high quality. The one event I would love to see them cover is the Carrickshock incident 1831 - I posted about it before and it is odd that it has sank from the national conscience.
    Yes indeed, Carrickshock 1831 would make a fine documentary.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Fantastic documentaries on the station.
    And with their other programs like Aifric or Ros na Run it's the only RTE channel I'd watch, unless there is sport on RTE 2.

I've seen documentaries:
    The San Patricios Brigade in the Mexican Army. And a film on this too!
    Franklin and the Northwest passage
    And Mobs Mheiriceá, certainly a lot of tough Irish gangsters in America in the last century!

All subtitled and it's a great way to pick up a bit of Irish. If you're like me, any love you had for the language may have been scared out of you in secondary school :(
    Yes, I've seen the one about The San Patricios Brigade and Mobs Mheiriceá ( found it very interesting that Legs Diamond's parents were from Clare and he naturally grew up in an Irish ghetto in Philadelphia, it's not just the Italians who produced gangster over on the other side of the pond, we produced our fair share !!! ) both excellent. And indeed it does help to pick up a little Irish, but, well, it still on my to do list to go and start regulair lessons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

McArmalite wrote: »
    Well I'll tell you one thing, it's generally excellent when it comes to history as far as I'm concerned. Last night 10.55 their was a programme on about the Rapairí or Rapparees, bands of raiders form the 1690's on. It is to continue next week.

Their is also one about the border, Teorainn on Wed at 9.30 ( it's made in conjunction with BBC N.I. and is a bit too " lets not be too hard on the british role in it " sort of approach, propably because it was made in conjunction with BBC N.I. but worth a watch all the same).

Also their's one on the cowboys of the Wild West, 8.30 Friday, this time about Buffalo Bill.

All the programmes are sub titled.
    http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/scei/scei.asp?Dt=2009-11-23

Now very regretfully I am not much of an Irish speaker, ok like most thers I could blame the De La Salle brothers for making me resent it with their Gestapo methods, it's always on my to do list to start taking leesons again in the language but ofcourse never get around to it. But I must say some of the history programmes are very good and make a good change from the History channell's endless programs about WW2 and Ice Road Truckers etc ( what the feck Ice Road Truckers is doing on a History channell anyway )

I'm watching a documentary on TG4 this moment on the Arigna coal mines, and put a phone call on my aunt from Arigna to tune in, which she is duly doing faoi láthair. She could tallk for Ireland about the Leyden family who owned that mine and the massive strike in the 1960s when the local priest was boycotted by the community (and eventually moved by the bishop) because he spoke out against the miners and in favour of the Leyden family.

Here's the link to the RTÉ Radio 1 documentary on it last August:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/longstrike.html

Advertisement