Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&B or Guesthouse in Derry

Options
  • 17-11-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've never been to Derry before and want to spend a weekend there in early December. I'm looking for a nice but cheap B&B or guesthouse close to the city centre with nearby parking. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It might be an idea to look at B&Bs in Donegal near Bridgend or Muff. Both are only a few minutes from Derry. As for parking, there is ample parking in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

An Mointean B&B
    245 Lone Moor Road
    Tel: 028 71287128

I haven't stayed here but I know a few people who have and they recommended it. You can park outside it and it's about a 10 minute walk from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Well there are a few places here in derry first thought would be the travel lodge

http://www.travelodge.ie/hotel_locations/travelodge_hotel_derry.474.4.10175.details.html

It is bang in the middle of the town and 5 mins walking distance to pretty much everywhere there

Also a b+b i know of but do not have the contact details for if they are needed let me know and i will get them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peterdoherty

http://www.abbeyaccommodation.com/

2 mins walk into middle of town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks guys, decided on the Abbey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭lucy333springer

smashey wrote: »
    It might be an idea to look at B&Bs in Donegal near Bridgend or Muff. Both are only a few minutes from Derry. As for parking, there is ample parking in the city.

Here smashey, your pal want's to spend a weekend in derry, not donegal(not knocking neighbouring county) but that's where he want's to go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Here smashey, your pal want's to spend a weekend in derry, not donegal(not knocking neighbouring county) but that's where he want's to go:D
    No harm in a bit of pimping ;)

Try keeping up at the back... :D
    http://borderireland.info/info/mdetail.php?mref=1783

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Depending on what they want from their stay, there's nothing wrong with looking at bridgend and muff. Considering most of the people who consider themselves to 'live' in the town (from Derry, and work there, but jumped across the border to get cheaper houses, before the euro turned on them) don't consider it too far away, I don't see why it can't be taken as an option.

Quite frankly they're not that much further away than some of the areas near them. Personally I live a decent distance from the city centre, and the only difference is about 50p in a taxi fare, or 5 minutes when in one. Say an extra 10 minutes in a bus. I've lived in the craft village before as well. There's not a lot of difference. Most places in the town are within an hour's walking distance to the city centre. Half an hour if you're a quick walker.

In a way the further out you are, it gives you more of a chance to see the scenary.

Any recommendations RE things to do in the daytime (such as tours, museums, craft shops, etc.), and also, any good restaurants you'd care to recommend (in city centre)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Craft shops you'll find all around the craft village, and the streets around it. It's half way down Shipquay street, which is just around the corner from the bus depot. It's the street leading up to the 'diamond' centre of the town.

There are a few tours happening in the town. I can't remember the names of the guys off the top of my head. One of them leaves from a shop about 3/4 of the way up Carlisle Road. Pretty much where the marker is here.

You have the tower museum.

As for restaurants, well I dunno tbh. I'm not overly happy about any of them :S I guess i'm just weird like that though. But you could try here for a listing of them, and some other links to things about the city that you can try.

For restaurants try The Exchange, The Garage, Quay West to name but three. If it's Indian, India house on Carlisle road is your place, Chinese - Mandarin Palace. For pub grub, Badgers is worth a shout. There are loads more. I noticed a new Italian last night next door to The Garage. All these are centrally located and easily reached by foot if you're in the city.

Trust me, that man knows his food ;)

Great city lads - the tour of the walls was absolutely brilliant and I'd recommend Badgers to anyone. Delicious food. Also loved the ice-cream cookies in the Foyleside shopping centre! The A5 is woeful though - one of the worst main roads I've ever driven on in Ireland.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself - apart from the road.

For pub grub, Badgers is worth a shout.
    Furet wrote: »
    Great city lads - the tour of the walls was absolutely brilliant and I'd recommend Badgers to anyone. Delicious food.
    muffler wrote: »
    Trust me, that man knows his food ;)
    Looks that way alright. :D

Looks that way alright. :D

Ah Martha's vineyard is far better then badgers i wouldnt go anywhere else here in derry for a good steak! :D

GAAman wrote: »
    Ah Martha's vineyard is far better then badgers i wouldnt go anywhere else here in derry for a good steak! :D
    It's hardly walking distance from Shipquay Street. :p

It's hardly walking distance from Shipquay Street. :p

Walking distance smalking pistance we are talking about top notch grub, bring on the taxi!!!:D

Advertisement