Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant believe it!

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I have never posted before, but read boards everyday! Mainly on this forum...

:D Last night i found out i'm pregnant! I cant actually believe it to be honest, im so happy!

Im 22 and I came off the pill in August '08 and have just been seeing if anything would happened until now. I must admit i did start to get a bit worried as it had been over a year and i was still like clockwork every month! Went to the doc and had all tests done, day 3 and 21 etc. everything was fine so now i am just in total shock that it has actually happend.

Around the start of November i started gettin very sore heavy boobs and some spotting - so again i just though ugh, just the usual time of the month on the way! I was due last wed the 11th so yesterday when still nothing i did a test! then another and another.. i just cant believe it!

My own doctor is actually on maternity leave at the moment unfortunatly so going to see her stand in this evening so hopefully she can confirm the news!!! Bit upset i cant see my own doc as she knew all about everything..ah well, i hope she is just having a good time with her new baby!

I have loads of questions but dont want to start asking til i have definate confirmation this evening:)

I am, we are SO EXCITED!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Congratulations Nat on your pregnancy...hope it all goes well. I remember doing my test and finding out I was expecting, even though we had planned it, it was a total shock.

Enjoy these early weeks where its just your little secret as once it gets out in the world you're life will never be the same again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nat xx

Thanks so much! Super excited, i just hope everything goes well.. I dont want to get my hopes up. how am i going to keep this a secret for 3 months x

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congrats girl!

Don't be disappointed if the GP doesn't confirm and just takes your word for it. I know I was expecting mine to do a test but he didn't.

Oh really!:( what is the point in going then:P I have not got a clue what to expect, what comes next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

Congrats Nat!

Trying to keep it secret for the first 13 weeks is very hard. But please resist telling anyone other than maybe your parents (if anyone). I know you want to scream it from the rooftops but life is very, very precious for a reason. Sorry for pissing on your fireworks but I'm talking from experience. Spout all you like on here though. We don't know you from Adam! ;)

Wishing you both all the very best in your life-changing experience.... :D

• Advertisement

nat xx wrote: »
    Thanks so much! Super excited, i just hope everything goes well.. I dont want to get my hopes up. how am i going to keep this a secret for 3 months x

I told everyone the week after I did the test..I just couldnt keep it to myself.

My doctor didnt do a test either just accepted that I had taken the test at home and it was all okay

One bit of advice..book yourself into a hospital asap. The waiting lists for scans are just ridiculous so dont wait too long. I was waiting four months for mine and I rang up the week I did the test

Haha im under strict instructions not to open my mouth to anyone!! but it is great to just post msgs here:) Once i get the doctor out of the way later, il make sure i call Holles Street tomoro! hopefully im not waiting too long, what is the norm for your first scan? how many weeks x

Boomtastic wrote: »
    Congrats Nat!

Trying to keep it secret for the first 13 weeks is very hard. But please resist telling anyone other than maybe your parents (if anyone). I know you want to scream it from the rooftops but life is very, very precious for a reason. Sorry for pissing on your fireworks but I'm talking from experience. Spout all you like on here though. We don't know you from Adam! ;)

Wishing you both all the very best in your life-changing experience.... :D

This can work both ways though

I have lost three babies in the early stages before anyone knew I was pregnant and having to explain to people why I was so upset was heartbreaking. Not everyone knows about them and I've had to sometimes listen to people talking about pregnancy when they didnt realise what had happened to me and it was very hard

This time around I made a decision to tell everyone from the start. They knew that I was pregnant so they didnt put any pressure on me to go out or do anything other than take it easy. It also meant that if the worst had happened they would know and be a little bit more sensitive.

Haha im under strict instructions not to open my mouth to anyone!! but it is great to just post msgs here:) Once i get the doctor out of the way later, il make sure i call Holles Street tomoro! hopefully im not waiting too long, what is the norm for your first scan? how many weeks x

I had my first scan at four months. With my daughter it was at three. Welcome to the world of the baby boom!!!

In the end for my own piece of mind I had a private scan at 12 weeks just to make sure everything was all okay. It cost about 120 euros but was worth every cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Congrats!!

Doctor might just take your word for it, mine didn't though and done a test which came up negative, was devastated, but went home and done more HPT's and got big fat positives on all of them. Nearly thundered into his office the next day!!

Take the advice above and book into hospital asap, I'd even be giving them a ring now just to be on the safe side. I know the Rotunda is very booked up at the moment...

ETA: I told people as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Felt I would need the support if anything were to happen. It's a matter of choice with people and to be honest if something did happen I don't think I could have put on a brave face because some people didn't know I was pregnant.

• Advertisement

Yeah i would definatly pay to get a private scan done if the waiting time was too long!

Eviltwin, Thats so unfortunate you suffered 3 miscarriges. Congrats on ur daughter though:)

Im a firm believer in whats ment to be will be:) I just hope and pray this is my time...

Oh really!:( what is the point in going then:P I have not got a clue what to expect, what comes next?

They give you a referral to the Maternity dept of whatever hospital you want to be attached to. They'll also ask you the public or private question (few threads on here about that). You also can ask any questions you might have. Although with my GP I'm better off with a book as they're useless.

haha same as myself i think, i dont have the best track records with doctors!
    I suffer terrible with period pains around the time of the month and have been in Holles street since i was 17 getting checked out:( so since they have all my files and stuff id say im best off heading there. But as for Private v Public. Im with VHI, i presume they will cover semi private for me:) well hopefully, iv been paying them enough!

Think about doing combined care...this is when you share your visits between the hospital and your gp.

The waiting times if you are public to see a doctor are just mental. I was in the rotunda yesterday for a check up and the average wait to be seen was 2 hours!!! :eek: I was climbing the walls.

With combined care I only have had to see the midwife once a month and the rest of my checks are with my doctor so its much quicker. You tend to get better one to one care from your gp too, they have more time to answer your questions.

Presume nothing. My VHI covers SFA. Would have cost me 3K+ for either private or semi.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Presume nothing. My VHI covers SFA. Would have cost me 3K+ for either private or semi.

im probably in the same boat as you then!:( il get on to them and see what the story is..

thanks again for all the replies, feels great to tell someone!!

Keep 'em coming, im so new to this x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats:)

nmh.ie has all the info that you need for holles st.

Currently with vhi it seems to be 500 euro and you can claim this agains't your med 1 and 110 euro for your anomaly scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

congrats Nat, thats terrific. I know it is all very exciting around now. Seems like so much to do, but don't worry it'll all fall into place!
    What I never could understand, and still can't is why the whole world doesn't come to a halt, WE'RE PREGNANT!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

Congratulations Nat!!
    As everyone else has said it's personal choice when you tell people, before or after 3months. I'm mouth of the South so had to tell everyone ASAP; to be fair I managed to keep it secret for a whole week!:D
    I had my 1st scan at 14weeks. Eek at VHI not paying for semi private bed, I just presumed they would:eek:
    Oh dunno if its the same in Dublin but in Cork you should book the hospital's antenatal classes the classes fill soooo fast!!

Let us know how the Dr goes. My GP wasnt going to give me a pregnancy test but I demanded it

In Dublin you'll be given a list of ante natal classes at your first hospital appointment and you're expected to tell them there and then which ones you want to go to.

They cover labour, baby care, nutrition in pregnancy and so on. Its worth doing the labour one. I dont think I actually used any of the breathing methods they taught me but it included a visit to the delivery rooms which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congrats Nat that's brilliant!!

I'd definitely say book scans and book your ante natal classes asap.
    I stupidly didn't book the ante natal classes early enough and the only one's they had free are a month before my due date.
    Here's hoping baby doesn't decide to arrive too early or I wont be too well prepared!!

I didn't get my first hospital scan til I was 17 weeks so ended up booking a private scan at 12 weeks instead. It was worth every cent! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I stupidly didn't book the ante natal classes early enough and the only one's they had free are a month before my due date.
    Here's hoping baby doesn't decide to arrive too early or I wont be too well prepared!!

called Holles St last week about antenatal classes and was told not to worry myself about them till I'm 30 weeks :eek: Maybe that's because I'm midwives clinic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

ebmma wrote: »
    called Holles St last week about antenatal classes and was told not to worry myself about them till I'm 30 weeks :eek: Maybe that's because I'm midwives clinic?
    I was told that I had to book them at 16 weeks at the latest (they start a few months later) but am attending the high risk clinic there.

Advertisement