Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which striking art to incorporate into MMA

Options
  • 17-11-2009 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

To all you experienced MMA fighters, what standing and striking martial art is most effective in MMA? After watching couture vs vera/Machida vs shogun in my opinion I find Muay Thai to be most effective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ItsAnOmen wrote: »
    To all you experienced MMA fighters, what standing and striking martial art is most effective in MMA? After watching couture vs vera/Machida vs shogun in my opinion I find Muay Thai to be most effective.

There is no definite answer to this apart from you need some of all the main striking arts, mainly Boxing and Muay thai.

It all depends on the style you fight-most wrestlers choose boxing as there no 1 striking weapon, most thai boxing stylists in MMA now learned it a long time ago such as Vera and Shogun, they both lost by the way!

They both prob should have won but if they knocked there opponents out they would have, Boxing is the flavour of the month in MMA at the minute and i don't see that changing, The main Thai style fighters in the UFC are Vera, Franklin who favour thai, and the Silva's wanderlei and anderson who definitely favour boxing even though they are officially thai boxers.

But as i said, you need hands, knee's, kicks, and elbows so some thai is a must.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Thai style for kicks, knees, plum clinch and elbows

Boxing for the hands, head movement and footwork

A stance which is somewhere in between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 syncsyncboot

ItsAnOmen wrote: »

As the name suggests...it is Mixed Martial Arts. Concentrating on one art would not create anywhere near the complete fighter.

A Boxer may have the best head movement, technique and power but the ability to strike in the clinch and use elbows would negate a boxer's elusiveness.

Thai Boxing is one of the more aggressive styles practised. The abilities to strike from range with kicks and punches OR in tight with elbows and knees are well suited to MMA.

If your asking which you should learn, the answer is.........wrestling

Advertisement