Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go broadband in Spain?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My parents bought a little apartment near Malaga a few years ago, and my Dad's wondering if anyone knows of a pay as you go broadband option in Spain?

He doesn't have a phone line in the apartment so ideally we'd be after something like the o2 or vodafone USB modems. Hopefully there'd be an option where you only pay for the broadband you use, or by the week etc.

Does anyone have any experience of a service like this in Spain?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not really a Travel query.

BB mods, if you don't think it's apt for here, let me know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Apologies.. If mods need to move it, work away. I figured a few frequent 'travellers' to Spain might have some specific experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Just spoke to a few of the spanish guys that work for me and they said check vodafone.es or orange.es as well as movistar. They are the big mobile networks over there. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Trotter wrote: »
    Hi all,

My parents bought a little apartment near Malaga a few years ago, and my Dad's wondering if anyone knows of a pay as you go broadband option in Spain?

He doesn't have a phone line in the apartment so ideally we'd be after something like the o2 or vodafone USB modems. Hopefully there'd be an option where you only pay for the broadband you use, or by the week etc.

Does anyone have any experience of a service like this in Spain?

Thanks!

Yoigo is fairly decent too. The good thing about them is that, if your phone has a 3g modem built in, you can buy a data card from them very cheap and use your mobile as a modem, they are the only one that do it (afaik although it has been a few months since I went there).

Vodafone and Movistar require you to buy a modem (if you are prepay customer).

Vodafone costs 49 euro, this includes a USB modem and 250 mb of usage. When you run out of mb you will need to add more mb, the prices are 250 mb 19 euro, 400 mb 29 euro and 1 gb 59 euro (mb will expire after for 90 days).

Movistar are similar to Yoigo, they charge you per day at 3 euro/day with 30 mb of usage, max 12 euro/day. There are packs you can buy (weekly, monthly...), not sure if they provide a modem or not...

I used Yoigo and they were ok. They cost 2.5 euro per day with 100 mb of usage again per day, calls are 8 c, same as texts I think. They were the cheaper and the easiest to get.

By the way, prices dont include VAT

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭davebuck

I use vip hotspot www.vip-hotspot.com when I'm in Benalmadena they are a pay as you go service check their website for their prices if your lucky enough one of their antenna will be close by.I connect with a usb wireless adapter so their signal is quite strong all you need to do is register with them no cost involved.They also will install an antenna if you need it just email them they normally have a special price on installation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement