Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

difference between starket efi and xli

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As per the title,
    I'm thhinking of buying a Toyota starlet and I've been confronted by EFI and XLI types.

Can someone please explain the difference? Thanks:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

EFI referred to the engine whereas XLi was a spec levet afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nearly certain EPM's right. My Mum's starlet was an XL, and carburetted - so it didn't have the EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection), and I remember seeing other XL's and XLi's on the road at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

ok, but how come some as decribed as XLI and others as EFI? Could a starlet be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yes, it could have a fuel injected engine (EFI), and have the equpiment (Elec windows, or whatever else was in the XLi pack) XLi specification. I'd imagine they're described differently because people generally haven't a clue what they drive.

thanks everyone. I'm sorted now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you are looking at one GLi is the spec to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EFI stands for Electronic Fuel Injection which was relatively new technology in Starlet from around 1992 which also co-insided with the introduction of the cat converter to the range. Non EFi engines were the old 1.0 litre sold up to 1992. All Starlets from 1992 onwards had a 1.3 litre engine with EFi. There would have been a sticker with these letters located in the rear windscreen below the heater elements to identify the EFi engined models.

XLi was the basic trim sold here, it was previously called XL but became the XLi when the car gained fuel injection.

thanks baxx26, great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

EFI wasn't a trim level. It was a marketing badge used by Toyota on all fuel injected cars of the time.

Advertisement