Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Tongue..

Options
  • 16-11-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Im going to the guy who did my tongue piercing but I thought id post here aswell.

I got it done nearly two weeks ago but my tongue is gone a bit black/brown.

Could it be the mouthwash im using?..I dont think its infected..ive been keeping it as clean as I can mostly wiht mouthwash though and I heard it can do this to your tongue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

whats your daily cleaning routine in detail? what foods you eating?

good choice on going back to the piercer, theyl tell you what's what

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Will wrote: »
    whats your daily cleaning routine in detail? what foods you eating?

good choice on going back to the piercer, theyl tell you what's what

I brush my teeth as normal and then I scrub the bottom and top of my tongue with the bristle part of the tooth brush. Then I mouth wash with listerine for 40seconds after. Twice a day. I mouth wash a third time in the middle of the day without brushing aswell.

I eat a lot of yogurts..bit of chocolate..veg..meat. I havent eaten anything out of the ordinary that I havent eaten since i got it done. I had a black cup of tea today but I always drink it pretty dark anyway..and im sure it would have gone by now if it was the tea? Any idea?

Thanks for the reply.

Don't scrub your tongue with the bristles, it will just agitate the area most likely.
    Dilute the listerine with water, the alcohol in it will cause inflammation. Max twice a day.
    Try cut out dairy while it's healing, there's a chance it may introduce unwanted bacteria into your system, as your tongue piercing is basically an open wound until it heals up :)

Did your piercer not mention any of this to you in the after care?

Suck on ice to relieve swelling, prepare easy to eat food which doesn't require much chewing etc as it will lessen movement of the tongue e.g soup, spaghetti, rice etc. Avoid spicey food, dairy if you can. If you can't live without milk etc just wash your mouth out with water afterwards as this will remove the coating of the milk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Stay away from using listerine until thge poercing is healed. Listerine has a good amoutn of alcohol in it which can irritate the piercing. use an alcohol free mouthwash after brushing.
    Boil 1 pint of water and add 1/4 tsp of sea salt. let it cool down and use that as a mouth wash 3 times a day or after you eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

mod. move this to dental issues.
    op, do you smoke??
    probably just bruising from the piercing. brushing your tongue does sweet fa. warm salty water mouthwash is the norm after an extraction so it'd help after a tongue piercing too. although if you find a dentist that'll advocate tongue piercing then you deserve a sticker.
    and listerine is a no no. i'd never advise a patient to use it anyway. it was invented by some guy who needed something to clean his bar with after work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSlRyQfho4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

mod. move this to dental issues.

Sir yes sir!

Wait!!! Why? It's obviously a piercing issue, if the OP wishes they can also post about it in Dental Issues.

ah we know more about the mouth than most!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ah we know more about the mouth than most!!
    Oh let me guess the advice, Take out that piercing and don't ever do it again.

The op asked in a piercing forum for advice on piercings not oral health

where are my chill pills? need to dole some out it seems :)

Oh let me guess the advice, Take out that piercing and don't ever do it again.

The op asked in a piercing forum for advice on piercings not oral health

where did i say anything about taking the piercing out?? i've come to learn that if people want to do it then that's fine. but anyway, a black tongue is the problem. sounds like an oral health problem. in all the time i've been at work and the hundreds of tongue piercings i've seen, i've only had to take one out. which was quickly followed by a load of pus. nice!!!
    seriously, the advice in the other forum would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 .nmK

That's fine, it's just getting discoloured from the mouthwash.
    You may notice your tongue also tastes kind of different?

Once I was off the mouthwash it slowly came back.
    Mine went brown, some people's go green and other's white.

Natural yoghurt helps apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not sure about the natural yoghurt, as they recommend keeping dairy products away from fresh oral piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 .nmK

But the thing is its nearly healed anyway, the swelling will have gone down and he can change his jewellery already.
    It's gone two weeks like..

Advertisement