Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes parking brake with manual gearbox

Options
  • 16-11-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭

I notice mercedes fit the foot pedal operated parking brake in the manual versions of there cars too.
    I am right in thinking that this is crazy in a manual car? unless it has an auto hill hold function and the pedal is only needed for actually parking and not in stop/start traffic on a hill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

In the other half's car (02 ML) the brake is applied by foot and released by hand so it can be used in the same way as a traditional hand brake. There are no limitations that I've come across with this design from a driving point of view although it has broken and had to be repaied in our car. The car does not have the auto hold function.
    Is this the type you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

ya but you just pull the lever to release it.. can be awkward to get used to as its on the opposite side to a normal hand brake but apart from that i find it no bother.
    I do rather a normal hand brake tho but just have to get over these things i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

ya, all mercs are the same. you put it on with your foot and take it off by hand. have to put the car in Neutral to put it on as u have to take your foot off of the clutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Same as the Passat and new A4. Well, no footbrake, but its still an electronic handbrake. Makes it just as hard.

Ever try taking of on a hill an Trendline Passat? Without losing the clutch?! Impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Same as the Passat and new A4. Well, no footbrake, but its still an electronic handbrake. Makes it just as hard.

Ever try taking of on a hill an Trendline Passat? Without losing the clutch?! Impossible!
    A VW mechanic told me once that if you've you seatbelt on, the handbrake should come off automatically on the passat as soon as you start pulling off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A VW mechanic told me once that if you've you seatbelt on, the handbrake should come off automatically on the passat as soon as you start pulling off?

I would have thought that was standard with auto handbrakes, no? All this talk of having to pull levers to apply and disengaged parkign brake smake it a bit pointless.

My only experience of on is in the missus Scenic. It's great. It engages when the engine is switched off, you can apply it yourself if your stopping at lights. It disengages itself when you go to pull off.

If you have to do it yourslef , then they should just leave a normal handbrake in the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Supposedly so, but its a ****e system that will still cause damage to the clutch if your not careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You guys are missing my point.
    Firstly, the vw passat & audi etc works very well, it auto releases when biting point is reached.
    My point was in relation to this mercedes system. Now I feel it would be ideal in the auto mercs as you just stamp on the pedal if you are stopped on a hill or whatever. You have no other use for your left foot in this case. Now in the manual cars, you come to a stop. You have to put the car in neutral, come off the clutch, press the parking brake and then get on the clutch, stick car in gear and now you are ready for off.
    Nobody could surely say that this is a system suitable for manual cars.

Advertisement