Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HV20 Capture Problem

Options
  • 16-11-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi, im a DV/HDV noob, but i recently bought a second hand Canon HV20 and today bought a Firewire cable. I never used DV or HD so dont know much about capturing, but i know the basics of how to(i think:o) Im using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. My problem is that when i connect my camera to the computer, nothing what so ever happens? Im putting the camera on playback mode as required but it is not recognizing it, does anybody know anything about this?

My computer is not that great, but i dont think its specs is the problem:
    Acer M1610
    1GB RAM
    1.6Ghz Intel Dual Core
    Sis Intergrated Graphics (useless, i know, hopefully upgrading when i can:o)

But really im not using this computer to edit the videos, its really only to capture it, then i will be transferring it over to my much faster laptop which does not have a firewire port.

Any help much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

check if your firewire port is enabled. 1394 connection is what its listed as in network connections. may also be disabled in the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

i checked the bios, its turned on in there. but i dont really no about the 1394 connection thingy, i checked in the device mana, i turned it on and off again, still nothin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Have you had it successfully connect to another computer? There maybe an option in the HV20's menu you need to look at as well. I fear you firewire might be borked on the camera. Try different computer, cable and if you can, try another firewire device on the same computer.

Unless your computer isnt playing back the footage smoothly, or you plan playing games, an upgraded graphics card will do nothing for your system.

TBH, best route would be a PCMCIA Firewire card for your faster laptop, assuming it has a PCMCIA slot. This saves you having to move 20GB of data everytime you capture a tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

Hi Roguey, I seem to remember a similar problem with a HV20 i had.
    Play with the settings in the camera playback menu.
    Try the DV locked setting. Switch the camera mode to DV from HDV etc.
    Eventually I remeber i got it to work and the problem didnt crop up again. HTH

@grifter09 - i was very close to buying your HV20! luckily this one came up just a few days after your one sold!

Im going to a friends tomoro to check if it is the camera or the pc, looking into buying a pcmia firewire port thingy for the laptop, but im clean outta monety after buying the camera so that will be a while. Hope to god its the PC and not the camera:(

If it is the camera will i be able to just put the tapes in say an old miniDV camera and capture the tapes with them in that? as i'll look into buying an old broken miniDV cam or something, as long as the tape deck still works.

Its been very annoying, had the camera over two weeks and havent done any editing or anything, which is my favourite part:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hey Roguey.
    I remember you from that sale alright.

http://www.hv20.com/

Its a good forum to be a part of and if it is down to the hardware/firmware they'll know about it.
    Only another HDV camera would have a chance at playing HDV footage. Add in cinemode (progressive) and theres an even less chance another miniDV camera would play the footage. Unless you are recording sd of course.

Did you try what I said?

yeah im already signed up on hv20.com, so far they havent told me much i dont know already. i tried on dv lock, but all the footage i have recorded is hdv, so should i record some dv and try that

I doubt recording footage will change anything. but yes, shift into DV mode. then try connecting again.

Advertisement