Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pupil teacher ratio?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I got a letter from the school today saying that they were being forced to bring the PTR up to 20:1 (I'm in a fee-paying school) and they said that this would mean the options would be reduced. They said the current 5th year option line (whats that?) is Home Ec, French,Accounting, Economics,Geography, History and Biology and that if the PTR went up it would be reduced to only 5 subject options. Does this mean they're getting rid of Physics and Chemistry?:confused: Anyone have any insight, because I couldn't understand the letter and I want to take those subjects for Leaving.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you sure you can currently do Physics and Chemistry in your school?

The letter would seem to imply you must choose at the moment from seven subjects : Home Ec, French, Accounting, Economics,Geography, History and Biology but due to the cuts you will be choosing from five.

I would presume the five would be from the existing seven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

Well I'm in TY and I'm currently taking Physics and chemistry, but I thought it might be some kind of thing like theres no Phys/chem on the list this year because not enough people wanted to take it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

pfft,ive got 28 in one of my classes,it averages about 23/24..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

They said it wasn't to do with how many students in a class (which I always thought it was) its how many teachers they can actually employ, so the phys/chem teachers,might be sent packing. My classes already all have 25-30 people in them!:(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

elaine93 wrote: »
    They said it wasn't to do with how many students in a class (which I always thought it was) its how many teachers they can actually employ

They are right, that's what PTR boils down to. No-one on here is in your school, so you're going to have to ask. If you have questions, then I'm sure others do too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement