Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my clutch on the way out?

Options
  • 16-11-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Over the past two weeks I've noticed a slightly strange problem when changing up gears. I can change gear without any problems, though what I'm experiencing is the engine revving must faster than the car is accelerating, as if the clutch hasn't fully engaged. My foot is completely off the clutch, and if I take my foot off the accelerator it seems to fully engage the clutch, bringing the revs back to what I'd expect for the speed I'm doing.

I had the pedal assembly replaced about a year ago (it's a 96 Polo) and I'm wondering if there's something in the clutch cable or the assembly that's making the clutch think it's pressed when it's actually not? Anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds like your clutch is slipping/on the way out. Put on the hanbrake, put the car in high gear and let the clutch out slowly, the engine should stall if your clutch is working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fintan Stack

Clutch is cream crackered I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Great :( Expensive to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The parts will probably be less than 200 euro - It'll be the labour that'll be expensive. Best bet is to ring your friendly mechanic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Does sound like your clutch is going. Not expensive at all pal, fairly handy to change. Im a mobile mechanic who works the Dublin/Kildare area, pm me for a quote if you're interested...

• Advertisement
Advertisement