Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

toyota aygo

Options
  • 16-11-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone got one of these cars?

I was set on buying one in the new year cause of the fuel efficiency, and cheap tax and insurance but I've since heard that they are extremely light cars and not the sturdiest for when you are driving on motorways and most of my driving will actually be on open roads/motorways rather than city!

so I looked at the toyota auris which seems a lot sturdier and stylish car too and it is more powerful, comes in 1.4, and I have option of diesel.
    Course the cost will be twice as much so I am still thinking about the aygo.

anyone got any advice on this for me?

thanks a mil!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Yes aygo s are light but they are a modern car so therefore have good crash worthiness.

Probably the best small car available but an Auris wiil be safer and more comfortable.
    Aygos not great on secondhand value so I'd buy secondhand and save more money.
    Also a Citreon C1 or Peugeot 107 is the SAME car built in the same factory with the same engine and gearbox etc.

Example (and not mine or no vested interest)
    only asking €4500 http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/992040

eg Full?id=1938259

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I had a little red Aygo and I sold it when I was after something a bit bigger. I really regret selling it. It was a nippy little thing and I loved it. It was noisy on the motorway and the crosswinds were a bit offputting but the positives far outweighed the negatives for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Wow, yeah it seems like an absolutely ideal first car at the very least.. I was going to be going for an 06 model and was hoping to get it for under the 5k in the New Year, but yeah I am def of two minds.

what's the auris like in terms of fuel efficiency and would there be a massive difference between petrol and diesel in this make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd take the Aygo for a test drive and see what you think, personally I think it's too small for anything but basic city commuting and I'd say on fuel the Auris will be cheaper to run. You won't get an Auris for less than 10k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

pog it wrote: »
    Wow, yeah it seems like an absolutely ideal first car at the very least.. I was going to be going for an 06 model and was hoping to get it for under the 5k in the New Year, but yeah I am def of two minds.

what's the auris like in terms of fuel efficiency and would there be a massive difference between petrol and diesel in this make?

You won't get near a Diesel Auris or a petrol one for that sort of money . Aygo will do near 60mpg. Settle on an Aygo and put your time into finding a good one or a C1 or a 107. its a fallicy that cars (like this)will be cheaper in the new year so go buy one now when both dealers and private sales are looking for cash in the run up to christmas

Also as Trotter says these yokes drive better aand are more fun than a lot of bigger cars

Best of luck

• Advertisement

It won Top Gear car of the year a couple of years back. They played soccer with them :) Mine was just great craic. There's only two seatbelts in the back though so my friends moaned at how few lads I could get back from the pub. I used only get petrol every five weeks. I'd get just under 600km from a tank of fuel, and thats with a lot of city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have been looking at these cars recently! its unbelievable you can pick up a nice 06 example from a dealer for 5,000! If you do very little to no motorway driving it will be fine. Its not the kind of car that would be comforable past 120kmph with cross winds! then again its so light and with only 1 person in the car I cant see any problems to be honest! the car is so cheap to buy and run its unreal!

If you can get the model up from the basic (I think its luna) that'd be worth it because it has split back seats. It means you can really easily drop one side of the seat to fit in anything bulky and still have a passenger in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd say on fuel the Auris will be cheaper to run.

Well if the OP has no chance of getting a diesel auris, then comparing an auris 1.4 petrol and an aygo 1.0 petrol, the aygo would be far more economical! That engine is known for its excellent fuel economy in the yaris so it should be fantastic in the aygo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I have one for sale (or swap/trade up-down for a small auto-for my Mam-fancy something new for meself) (same username - ytareh) on adverts.ie.I have to say that I did think they were a bit hairy on the motorway 'at high speed' in a cross wind when I first got one but havent noticed any such instability in a long time -not sure whether thats due to meterological issues or changing the tyres to Bridgestones or just getting the 'feel' of the car.Im not sure Id recommend one to a learner on the motorway but sure then again a learner wouldnt be on a motorway at all now , would they!?The 'factory' tyres are Continental "Eco" -ie slippy and not that economical -tyres .The car itself I have owned from new ,so nearly 3 years with me , being the longest Ive ever owned in 14 years motoring .
    I used be quite the petrol head owning many ,many performance cars (GSi 16v/MX5/190 Cosworth/SiR/Vw&Pug GTis/Celica etc etc sometimes changing practically on a monthly basis .So it says a lot that I would run this little motor for nearly 3 years now.It DOES have the Yaris engine in a MUCH lighter body (lighter even than a Cinquecento!!!-the engine is one of the lightest ever and the three cylinder actually makes the SWEETEST little throaty sound when revved while standing still...)Its NOT fast by any measure but the engine doesnt mind the revs -not sure what red line/max rpm is as the thing doesnt have a rev counter !(You come to terms with that eventually!)
    The car REALLY needs the proverbial 'opening up' of around 10000 miles when you get an extra couple of mpg and mph which seems to be repeated again at about 35000 miles .The quoted MPG figures are wildly inflated in my opinion- whereas most cars Ive had Ive easily beaten the quoted MPG .I got just over 50/51mpg accurately measured, from new, rising to about 54/55mpg at the moment (42k miles) .I tried drive it like a nun for a couple of tanks and it didnt return more than 2mpg extra )MAYBE it suffers badly, fuel economy wise, at high motorway speeds (well a 'little' over the limit) and might be surprisingly good 'round town' but Id be surprised if so ...
    Having said that, on my 120 km daily round trip commute including very long motorway stretches I find it a very pleasant car.
    The rear hatch space without seat down is terrible and the 'window only' access (the metal area above the rear bumper does NOT lift up) severely limits what you can get in.With the rear seat down its not so bad.
    Handling (at least with the Bridgestones at the recommended 34psi) is excellent .With the Continentals it would loose grip and screech like a banshee but still remain relatively speaking ,very controlable .(THANK YOU FOR NOT POSTING THAT THIS IS IN FACT ILLEGAL "SUPER SAINTS")
    Mine is a basic (whats the point in making an Aygo as dear as a Yaris with 'extras'?!) five door red Terra so no electric windows which I can live without .I paid 11400 straight(maybe 800 discount at the time?) but they were closer to 10k not so long ago after the VRT changes -however seem to have creeped up to 11k + again recently.
    For comparison my wife owned an 06 'new shape' Yaris for 2 years and it was built like a tank -very Golf like ...and thus clearly SLOWER ...the Aygo is definitely 'lighter built' but lacks nothing in the safety department having ABS ,twin airbags ,decent NCAP rating etc .
    While the car has never 'let me down ' , NEVER!, it has had a water pump and clutch under warranty in the local Toyota main dealer -both 'known issues'
    In conclusion (phew!) let me put it this way ....I can think of no new car that Id sooner own for much under 20k euro.I reckon a Fiat 500 turbodiesel is about all Id consider replacing it with but not sure I can manage with a 3 door with two young kids....
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (with some reservations)

• Advertisement

wow! Thanks mr. aygo dealer!! Going by what you are all saying the aygo is definitely deserving a test drive. I could get the diesel auris- my budget can stretch to it at its max limit- but if the aygo is so good then I can think of other good uses for the other 5k!..

It's really a matter of comfort, feeling safe, and the auris does look good but it does seem the kind of car you'd drive if you have arrived whereas I am just getting there ;) So the aygo is back to my number 1 after this!

Thanks a mil for all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I've driven both for extended periods as company cars.

The Auris is much steadier, has a good soundsystem is probably safer and is a hell of a lot quieter. It's without doubt the better transport solution. The seats are more adjustable....

The Aygo is noisier, has less storage room is not refined at all, has a terrible tinney sound system and you will hear every extra rev.
    I honestly dont know why, but I love it and I miss it terribly!
    It's just so much fun to drive! It's as fun to drive at 100kph as a WRX is at 230kph.
    You just have to take one for a spin, it really has a soul, something you will not get in an Auris. Fuel economy is so good you will think the gauge is broken, insurance is cheap and it's enormous fun to drive at legal speeds. You would want to be at a "certain stage of your life" to choose an Auris over one of these little babies!
    Actually safety is pretty good as well, my brother was rear ended in one a few years ago, the other car was buggered and the Aygo was back to normal for a few ton. He had a sore back for about a week though.

Theres plenty of adjustments that can be made to the seating position when you're test driving. If its a luna you can adjust the steering height and angle. Get comfy before you head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a few 06 Aygo's and Peugeot 107's on Carzone for under 5k so theres plenty of choice. You might be able to bargin a few more quid off the Peugeot using the French depreciation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Not as bad as the one on Carzone listing a 107 as a Toyota Aygo and only 'revealing ' its true identity towards the end of the ad...Of course garages have done this sort of thing forever ...reminds me of a classic 'trade' story about a dealer in the pre 'year' reg plate days who sold a 1980 car as a 1981 to a lady and told her after when she found out its real age "I told you it was an Eighty ONE "(of those Opel Kadetts ...)(ok so you may have to reread it a few times but its actually quite funny/nasty ...

Had to resurrect this thread!

Was going for the Aygo but I'm just worried the 1.0 will be just a weak powered engine... so I am turning to ye for advice on similar cars in 1.2 - max 1.4l litre?

Something fuel efficient, stylish, and not dear on tax + insurance.

Any ideas??

Thanks a mil again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why not a Yaris?? it can handle the motorways...and is available in diesel.

What is your budget?

I like the yaris but only the newer models and I'm kinda hoping to spend 5k max and get the best value I can.

anything else apart from yaris? Good suggestion alright but new models outside what I want to spend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Opel Corsa, Ford Focus? a little Peugeot or Clio?

Advertisement