Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first hospital app

Options
  • 16-11-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,
    have my first hospital visit on friday i was wondering what exactly they are going to do to me? says on the leaflet i got from them with the appointment card that it will take up to two hours. Am nervous and other half is more nervous

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

congratulation!!!!!!!!!

bring a urine sample with you!! the second one of the day :D you'll have blood samples blood pressure height and weight taken they'll take a full medical history you'll sit around for an hour or so and you may even have a scan...!!! all fun and games from here on in!! :)

welcome to lala land ...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations :)

Theres no need to be nervous and the appointment won't take 2 hours... Its the sitting around waiting that takes the longest!

Theres nothing too invasive at the first appointment, like cbyrd said, they test your pee, weight, take bloods, ask you lots of questions about your medical history and family history. They'll probably have a feel of your tummy, take your blood pressure, and maybe do a little abdominal scan to check the baby is in the right place. If they don't do the scan they will probably listen to the baby's heartbeat with a doppler, although this may not be possible depending on how many weeks you are.

If you have any questions, make sure you write them down and bring them with you as you'll be sure to forget at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

my doc god bless her ha given me a copy of all my bloods to bring with me so that might cut donw on the time, ill be 21 weeks by then do you think they will do my scan? to be honest i have not settled into been pregnant at all am so nervous something will go wrong and just dying for the scan so at least ill know things are ok. Dont know if every first time mom is like this or if im just strange. Also hate hospitals, have not been to one since my dad died of what can only be described as gross neglect in this same hospital i have to go to now. Also in the same hospital the same year my dad died my gran got mrsa and i just have no trust in them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

I was the same for our 1st appointment last week; was so nervous. Honest to God I did't know what to expect and was just running wild with ideas (I thought they'd give me an internal):rolleyes: They didn't.
    Just make sure you bring a bottle of water to drink before you meet your consultant to have a full enough bladder for scan, and early morn urine sample.

Best of luck;)

Advertisement