Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas gifts.....

Options
  • 16-11-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Looking for some christmas ideas for my brothers partner. She is in her early 40's is a teacher and has no interest in clothes. She like geology and archeology, had a love of reading but at this stage have covered books. She dose enjoy gardening but is limited i what she can do due to a back injury. Loves music and play the piona.

No interest in jewellery or perfume or any of the normal girly stuff. We also plan on doing the global gift thing as well. She is also into green issues.

At this stage is is stressing the whole family to try and fing gifts for this wonderful woman.

I will be trilled to hear of any ideas.

Caroline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Sleipnir wrote: »

Going to look into that one. Could be a winner. Keep the ideas comoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

What about a terrarium, with some interesting cacti in it?
    Could perhaps convert an old aquarium, or buy one?

mrmac wrote: »
    What about a terrarium, with some interesting cacti in it?
    Could perhaps convert an old aquarium, or buy one?

Love this idea but how hard would it be to get/make? Keep the ideas coming, really great ones so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I was actually going to suggest something similar...

When my granny was getting older and couldn't do much gardening outdoors, we got a large tree root and turned it into a 'mini' garden with cacti and small houseplants in it, which she could keep in the house and which didn't require much work. It didn't take much work to put together either. She also loved indoor plants and had the window sill of a big bay window in the hall turned into a mini garden (luckily she had a large hall so there was plenty of room for the plants without them taking over). Would somehting like that be feasible?

Another option could be putting together a collection of sheet music of songs/pieces/composers that she really likes? If you put it together you'd also have the option of making and designing the outer cover, etc. Could be a really nice gift. You can order most pieces of music online or through music shops.

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    I was actually going to suggest something similar...

When my granny was getting older and couldn't do much gardening outdoors, we got a large tree root and turned it into a 'mini' garden with cacti and small houseplants in it, which she could keep in the house and which didn't require much work. It didn't take much work to put together either. She also loved indoor plants and had the window sill of a big bay window in the hall turned into a mini garden (luckily she had a large hall so there was plenty of room for the plants without them taking over). Would somehting like that be feasible?

Another option could be putting together a collection of sheet music of songs/pieces/composers that she really likes? If you put it together you'd also have the option of making and designing the outer cover, etc. Could be a really nice gift. You can order most pieces of music online or through music shops.

The sheet music is a great one as well. I think we as a family will be using all of the above ideas. I really think she would love them. I wonder where I could bet a carve sheet music box?

Any more ideas keep them coming this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

A terrarium is just a fancy word for a mini-indoor green house. Almost any kind of, see through, container would do. You can sometimes find these, pre-made, at garden centres. You can easily convert old fish bowls into something special. Perhaps even add a carnivorous fly trap for a bit of variety!?

A quick google gave me this link, it has a good few ideas.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

A friend of mine has the sheet music of her favourite song framed and hanging in her house. It's a plain frame but looks so classy and I think it's such a great idea. If you know her favourite song, that could be a nice idea...

lauratkd wrote: »
    A friend of mine has the sheet music of her favourite song framed and hanging in her house. It's a plain frame but looks so classy and I think it's such a great idea. If you know her favourite song, that could be a nice idea...

Brilliant. Was chatting with all the family and we are going to use all the ideas that have come up so far. My brother is hunting down the sheet music and I am looking for a carved box for them. going to do the indoor garden. Think she will love it and easy to care for aswell.

Keep the ideas coming.

Advertisement