Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Question

Options
  • 16-11-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have a problem with my heating and i'm not entirely sure what type of tradesman i need!

we have an oil fired system in a 3bed semi in the park, cabinteely which we've been in about a year.

a few months ago i noticed that there was damp coming through a small area (about 6" square) of the concrete slab in our living room.

i think it's from a pipe which runs from the boiler to a back boiler (which no longer seems to work).

would appear it's a leak or crack in the pipe, it can't be too big though as it's more like condensation than a full on damp patch. only noticed as there was a piece of wood under a chair which got warped pretty bad, it's not really penetrating the carpet or underlay.

the heating probably needs a good overhaul, some rads are new, some not so new.

so my question is, who is this a job for (plumber? heating engineer? i presume the slab will have to be taken up at the place of the leak) and can anyone provide any recommendations?

apologies for the length of the post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You need a plumber, heating engineer doesn't reall exist in this country yet.

Have you a small tank in the attic, this feeds your heating system with water. Tie up the ballcock for a couple of days. If the water level in the tank drops by alot, you have a leak. You can still use your system while you try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wardle

You need a plumber, heating engineer doesn't reall exist in this country yet.

Have you a small tank in the attic, this feeds your heating system with water. Tie up the ballcock for a couple of days. If the water level in the tank drops by alot, you have a leak. You can still use your system while you try this.

thanks for this, i'll check it out and give it a try.

i'm pretty sure it's a leak, it's on the path of the pipe (you can feel the heat along it), and i can't think of any other explanation for an isolated damp patch. also, the concrete has been repoured in this area at some point. i'm guessing it's a joint that's not fully sealed, though i understand that you're not meant to join pipes under concrete.

Advertisement