Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru lmpreza, replaced battery..still won't start

Options
  • 16-11-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

l have a yr 2000 1.6 impreza which l've owned for about 6 months and its running fine overall.
    The only problem is that sometimes it won't start in the mornings and the only way to get it going is to give it a tow and a 'jumpstart'.
    l've replaced the cold start sensor and the battery but the problem remains, any ideas?

CPL 593H

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get it diagnosed for any faults

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Will it not turn over at all, or slowly? Starter motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anan1 wrote: »
    Will it not turn over at all, or slowly? Starter motor?

lt turns over fine, chugs away but won't start.
    lt's random too, somedays it starts first time.
    l had it in the garage when the problem first started and they diagnosed and replaced the cold start sensor.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 65,212 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

furiousox wrote: »
    lt turns over fine, chugs away but won't start.
    lt's random too, somedays it starts first time.

I had very similar symptoms (intermittent starting problem) and it turned out to be a bad connection on the fuel pump relay. Check the relevant fuses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

When you say cold start sensor I am assuming you mean the coolant temp sensor . Was this replaced for a reason or just to try , I say this because your mechanic or dealer should have had a reason to replace it such as it reading -40 deg c which is open circuit did they even have or use a scan tool to read the parameters . I cant understand this guessing and or swapping diagnosis that many garages try at customers expense a sensor either reads correctly or it doesent .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭furiousox

Darsad wrote: »
    When you say cold start sensor I am assuming you mean the coolant temp sensor . Was this replaced for a reason or just to try , I say this because your mechanic or dealer should have had a reason to replace it such as it reading -40 deg c which is open circuit did they even have or use a scan tool to read the parameters . I cant understand this guessing and or swapping diagnosis that many garages try at customers expense a sensor either reads correctly or it doesent .

I'd never heard of a 'cold start sensor' before this episode.
    I think they kinda went 'sounds like your sensor's faulty' and replaced it.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Maybe try theses lads www.isdc.ie, if its Subaru they'll
    know. Strange how the garage replaced the engine temp sensor
    and its still not starting properly. Did they do a diagnostic check,
    this is my guess could be the crank sensor thats at fault.
    Are all the earths good, Subarus have quite a few on there engines.

Advertisement