Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone at home

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anybody have this vodafone broadband and whats it like??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

They've basically taken over from perlico afaik, so should be similar if not better than them.

If your thinking of moving you should join up @ be thrifty.ie and earn yourself €40!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

No too sure about Perlico ...
    I've got them now as they took over BT Residential business.
    Have a few speed issues ....

gleep wrote: »
    They've basically taken over from perlico afaik, so should be similar if not better than them.

If your thinking of moving you should join up @ be thrifty.ie and earn yourself €40!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Vodafone own both BT (customers) & Perlico, they basically sell the exact same thing as eircom so generally speaking if you can get it at a better price with Vodafone compared to Eircom then go for it :)

Personally speaking their package prices seem decent enough and they operate a support forum on boards where staff can assist with queries directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Cabaal wrote: »
    Vodafone own both BT (customers) & Perlico, they basically sell the exact same thing as eircom so generally speaking if you can get it at a better price with Vodafone compared to Eircom then go for it :)

Personally speaking their package prices seem decent enough and they operate a support forum on boards where staff can assist with queries directly.

What sort of speed issues???

Mickeyie05 wrote: »

Full story here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738410 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mickeyie05 wrote: »

I never mentioned anything about speed issues,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I've moved from BT to Vodafone. I thought I might as well avail of the cheaper packages as I would be moving to BT eventually. I was happy with the service with BT.

Some things I'm not happy about with Vodafone:

I tried to upgrade from the 3mb off peak tariff to the 3mb anytime tariff. Customer Service told me I would have to enter into a new yearly contract! This is a joke imo. I then pointed out that it says the following on the website:
    You can change your bundle here by selecting the plan you'd like to switch to. There's no need to renew or extend your contract, upgrading is free of charge, however if you're downgrading you may be liable for a once off charge of €25 added to your next bill.
    Although they said they'd never heard of this they said they'd upgrade me without me having to enter into a new contract. I also told them I don't want to have to pay €25 to 'downgrade'. To be honest if I was ever charged this fee I would move to another provider.

Calls to all mobiles are 20 cent a minute all the time. BT used to charge 13 cent off peak and 21 cent at peak time. So if you ring mobiles during the day you will be paying 50% extra.

I had a 21 minute call to an Australian mobile that was suspiciously expensive in comparison to BT rates. Although I can't be sure as I don't have the BT rates to hand.

In fairness the actual broadband service is very good and the website is good but it is down a lot. Billing is monthly instead of bi-monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ernie1000

DONT SUBSCRIBE TO THEM...see my posts else where...no ability to send e mail for over amonth, whilst the customer support guys have tried to help...even they admit that its the server and there is no fix out there............

for details see my posts elsewhere

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Why were you unable to send email and what were you using as outgoign email server?

Basically the smtp server keeps rejecting my password when i try to log in thro my mail application(apple)although it has been reset many times and now works on the outgoing pop3 server (it is the same password and has been checked by vodafone support lots of time)
    the vodafone peeps agree it is a fault with the pop3 server not recognising it...but no fix in sight even after 1 month

• Advertisement

soory forgot to add
    outgoing server is smtp.vodafoneathome.co.uk..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Anyone know what model, modem/router Vodafone are currently supplying to new sign ups?

Any issues with it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I thought it was mail.vodafone.ie

Agree : this is stated on the Vodafone welcome letter ...
    dubmick wrote: »
    I thought it was mail.vodafone.ie

Hi guys I am in England so differant address however the support for broadband service is out of Eire

Tried the address that you supllied and unfortunately not given access rights........
    thx tho

ernie1000 wrote: »
    Hi guys I am in England so differant address however the support for broadband service is out of Eire

Tried the address that you supllied and unfortunately not given access rights........
    thx tho

You;l likely find Vodafone's mail servers must be used on Vodafone's connection are you roaming or on a UK ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Anyone know what model, modem/router Vodafone are currently supplying to new sign ups?

Any issues with it?

Thanks.

I signed up recently and received a white standup Vodafone Gateway made by Huawei, model number HG556A. After some initial speed issues in the evening the service is working well. However, since installing the gateway ive noticed a noise on the phone line. This is especially noticable on the phone that is plugged into the gateway itself. Less so on the other lines in the house, but still there. The main thing is the broadband is working but the noise is next on the list to be investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joeyjoeie

Sapele wrote: »
    I signed up recently and received a white standup Vodafone Gateway made by Huawei, model number HG556A. After some initial speed issues in the evening the service is working well. However, since installing the gateway ive noticed a noise on the phone line. This is especially noticable on the phone that is plugged into the gateway itself. Less so on the other lines in the house, but still there. The main thing is the broadband is working but the noise is next on the list to be investigated.

I've had Vodafone at home for about 2months now. I'm getting speeds of about 2meg during the day but once 6pm comes along I get about .3 of a meg this is from a 3meg connection, Its a joke. Contacted customer support they say its eircoms issue and eircom tech tells me its vodafone's issue. I was getting noise also when I had the White huawei modem which they changed to the Myxel modem that perlico use.
    This has given me less noise but speeds are still shocking. The support that vodafone have don't have a clue everytime I've called them which has been almost everyday since I've got the service there fix is just to log the problem and get eircom to look at the problem.If anyone has any idea's as to why the speed is so weak your input will be welcomed. So far from my experience I'd recommend no one to get vodafone at home.
    4205851.png
    631536144.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Same with me, my speeds are appalling,

MOD EDIT: SNIP

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

noticed I had a strange IP yesterday (vista sidebar widget that shows the external IP) & when I checked it on whois it came up as voda, think it was 109.x.x.x.

ran a test @ speedtest & was getting 6.8M

any previous test while on bt gave me max 6.4M.

both times was synced at 7616/672

after restarting the router I was back on a bt ip again (212.x.x.x).

latency still 100+ ms

just posting this before I reboot again (bloody bt 24 hour forcing a new ip) - will post back if I get a voda ip again.

edit: posting anyway. back on with a new bt 194.x.x.x ip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

joeyjoeie wrote: »
    I've had Vodafone at home for about 2months now. I'm getting speeds of about 2meg during the day but once 6pm comes along I get about .3 of a meg this is from a 3meg connection, Its a joke. Contacted customer support they say its eircoms issue and eircom tech tells me its vodafone's issue. I was getting noise also when I had the White huawei modem which they changed to the Myxel modem that perlico use.
    This has given me less noise but speeds are still shocking. The support that vodafone have don't have a clue everytime I've called them which has been almost everyday since I've got the service there fix is just to log the problem and get eircom to look at the problem.If anyone has any idea's as to why the speed is so weak your input will be welcomed. So far from my experience I'd recommend no one to get vodafone at home.

Id recommend you make you way to the vodafone forum on boards and make a thread giving details of the problem. Thats what i did and a week later my evening speed and service improved a lot. No matter what they say, things can be done imo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

Advertisement