Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HID Legality

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got HID lights installed in my car over the weekend?

Have been told that they are road legal, etc.

Can someone confirm that they are road legal?

I'm after spending ~€300 on them so I really hope they are!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Sounds like something you might have checked before getting them, no?

Once they're properly aimed they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If they are not self-levelling, they are illegal afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think they need both self-levelling and a cleaning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

jamieh wrote: »
    I'm after spending ~€300 on them so I really hope they are!

How much:eek:

Why did it cost that much? Are they gold plated or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think they need both self-levelling and a cleaning system.

Yup and AFAIK they a under all circumstances must be fitted in projector headlights and not the regular kind

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yup and AFAIK they a under all circumstances must be fitted in projector headlights and not the regular kind
    I thought this too, but my current car came from the factory with HIDs but not projector lenses. Only time i've ever seen it, but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

If they are correctly focused and levelled they will pass an NCT (whether this defines the legality or not I don't know).
    Factory fitted need to be self levelling and have washers on them, but retrofit kits don't.

I thought this too, but my current car came from the factory with HIDs but not projector lenses. Only time i've ever seen it, but it is possible.

Volvo? they are the only ones i know that are factory fitted that dont have projectors. IMO 95% of the HID's that are not fitted into projector headlights are extremely blinding for other traffic. Projectors have smaller light emitters so they dont come across as blinding!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Retro fitted HID's have blinded me more times than I care to remember, for best results in a retro kit make sure they have projector headlamps and are aligned properly and the lenses are not scattering the light all over the place

Volvo? they are the only ones i know that are factory fitted that dont have projectors. IMO 95% of the HID's that are not fitted into projector headlights are extremely blinding for other traffic. Projectors have smaller light emitters so they dont come across as blinding!
    It's a 2008 Subaru Forester. I've found the same with aftermarket HIDs, I can only assume that Subaru designed the lenses to suit HIDs but didn't bother making them projectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I think you need self levellig lights and/or self levelling suspension.

Some of the better hid kits have excellent spread patterns and can be used with non projector set up.

Got a set from hids4u last week. Will be installing on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

It's a 2008 Subaru Forester. I've found the same with aftermarket HIDs, I can only assume that Subaru designed the lenses to suit HIDs but didn't bother making them projectors.
    I think subaru are doing that with all new models maybe? My friends dad bought a 08 legacy last year and it came with HID's and i seen a 09 estate legacy the other night with HID's.

Bonito wrote: »
    I think subaru are doing that with all new models maybe? My friends dad bought a 08 legacy last year and it came with HID's and i seen a 09 estate legacy the other night with HID's.
    But the Legacy has HIDs with projector lenses, my Forester has HIDs without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

But the Legacy has HIDs with projector lenses, my Forester has HIDs without.
    TBH i havent seen a forester with HID's let alone projector lense HID's :S confusing one this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I brought the car to garage after installation and they verified they are leveled and focused correctly, my car also has projector lenses.

What do ye mean when ye say self levelling? There's a control in the car that allows me to adjust the level of the bulbs (higher or lower), will that do?

jamieh wrote: »
    What do ye mean when ye say self levelling? There's a control in the car that allows me to adjust the level of the bulbs (higher or lower), will that do?
    That's manual levelling, cars with factory HIDs have no such control as levelling is performed automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

Victor_M wrote: »
    If they are correctly focused and levelled they will pass an NCT (whether this defines the legality or not I don't know).
    Factory fitted need to be self levelling and have washers on them, but retrofit kits don't.

Sorry, Victor put it more specifically than I did. NCT=OK, Law=?
    Judging by the number of cars on the road with front and rear lights either gone or malfunctioning I think the Gardaí are happy to let the NCT manage the situation. Unless your car is of the ricer/modded/baseball cap variety then you'd want to be really unlucky for a Gard to notice your lights, much less ticket you for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Laguna estate's have HID systems with no washer system and are not self leveling. They are also NOT projectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

People, I don't see what the big deal is with retro-fitted hid kits. I fitted them in my car ('77 manta) cos the standard lights were sh1te, bordering on dangerous. HID's make a huge differance to my safety, I can see where i'm going now :):) So, some peeps reckon the're blinding for other drivers and fair enough, they should be properly adjusted after fitment.
    Around the late sixties, when halogen bulbs were first introduced to europe, many people complained that they were too bright and dazzleing - sound familiar anyone
    ??

mantaraver wrote: »
    People, I don't see what the big deal is with retro-fitted hid kits. I fitted them in my car ('77 manta) cos the standard lights were sh1te, bordering on dangerous. HID's make a huge differance to my safety, I can see where i'm going now :):) So, some peeps reckon the're blinding for other drivers and fair enough, they should be properly adjusted after fitment.
    Around the late sixties, when halogen bulbs were first introduced to europe, many people complained that they were too bright and dazzleing - sound familiar anyone
    ??
    It depends on the kit/car/headlights, some are fine but some aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mantaraver wrote: »
    I fitted them in my car ('77 manta) cos the standard lights were sh1te, bordering on dangerous. HID's make a huge differance to my safety, I can see where i'm going now :)
    The people coming against you probably can't. I've yet to see an older car that takes well to HIDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Berty wrote: »
    Laguna estate's have HID systems with no washer system and are not self leveling. They are also NOT projectors.
    Which model?

Only ask as I have a '02 Laguna II which has both the self-levelling and the washer system - has a low level warning light for the washer fluid too which I think is another requirement for factory-fit Xenon's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I have factory HIDs in a C5.

Self levelling, with washers and self levelling. I thought that was the requirement tbh.

I have factory HIDs in a C5.

Self levelling, with washers and self levelling. I thought that was the requirement tbh.

are they self leveling?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

are they self leveling?:D

They could be he didnt mention in his post.

Advertisement