Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GEM module gone in car

Options
  • 16-11-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Bought a car 2nd hand 1 month ago. Noticed last week that the wipers were coming on when we werent near the car - posted about it here looking for advice.

Dropped it into the garage and was told that the GEM module is gone and needs to be replaced which will cost over €350 and also the car had to be coded at a price of €100.

Now should this be covered under the warranty of the car since the guy we bought it off said if anything went wrong he'd cover it, or is this just something that happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

been a gem model i take it is a focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

ford jedi wrote: »
    been a gem model i take it is a focus?

Yep its a 1.6 diesel hatch - 05

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The warranty document you got when you bought the car will specify what is/isn't covered and for how long.

Anan1 wrote: »
    The warranty document you got when you bought the car will specify what is/isn't covered and for how long.

Anan the car was bought 2nd hand and there was no document. It was word of mouth from the seller who was selling the car. I know him pretty well but just wanted to know if this is something that normally goes in the car or should it have been looked at or known to the guy selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anan the car was bought 2nd hand and there was no document. It was word of mouth from the seller who was selling the car. I know him pretty well but just wanted to know if this is something that normally goes in the car or should it have been looked at or known to the guy selling it.
    Was the car bought privately or from a dealer? It's the kind of thing that could go at any time, so I wouldn't blame the seller for not having predicted it. Without any sort of a written warranty i'd imagine you're at the mercy of the seller's goodwill re repairing it, though.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Was the car bought privately or from a dealer? It's the kind of thing that could go at any time, so I wouldn't blame the seller for not having predicted it. Without any sort of a written warranty i'd imagine you're at the mercy of the seller's goodwill re repairing it, though.

Privately. It was brought down from the north.
    Thats grand. To be honest I just wanted to know if its a common thing that goes in them. Im going to ask him if he'll put something towards it and see what he says. All he can say is no!
    Its just a lot to have to fork out seeing as she only has the car 1 month and was told that everything was perfect on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Folks,

Bought a car 2nd hand 1 month ago. Noticed last week that the wipers were coming on when we werent near the car - posted about it here looking for advice.

Dropped it into the garage and was told that the GEM module is gone and needs to be replaced which will cost over €350 and also the car had to be coded at a price of €100.

Now should this be covered under the warranty of the car since the guy we bought it off said if anything went wrong he'd cover it, or is this just something that happens?
    dont be too hasty about paying that! same thing happened when my sis bought her 04 focus,they said it was the GEM module and it wasnt going to be covered under the 3 month warranty they gave her. She brought it to a local mechanic and he said they were lying through their teeth to rip her off and only her fuse was gone,he replaced the fuse and she's had no problems since then with it :) so if i were you i'd get a second opinion,and if it does turn out to be the GEM module try for a better price somewhere else. Unfortunately regarding your warranty if you've no document i dont think you've any come back. Unless you happen to have a recording of your verbal agreement where he says "anything goes wrong you'll be looked after"

Hope this helps :)

Hey Bonito - too late Im afraid. Theyre putting in the module as I type. Actually they just have it in. €440 for the part and labour. He said that the GEM module was corroded and thats what was causing the problem. They replaced the module so all should be working now.

Fingers crossed this will be the last problem with the car for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Hey Bonito - too late Im afraid. Theyre putting in the module as I type. Actually they just have it in. €440 for the part and labour. He said that the GEM module was corroded and thats what was causing the problem. They replaced the module so all should be working now.

Fingers crossed this will be the last problem with the car for her.
    Well if it's corroded tell him you want the broken part back,if it's genuinely corroded and needed replacing he'll have no problem giving you the old part,that way you can decide for yourself whether the work was needed or not,and if you do have further problems with the wipers i'd demand full refund of him changing the GEM module as per it was unnessecary work carried out.

All the best :)

Another bloody problem!

Got the GEM module sorted in the car and its been running fine for the last 2 weeks.

My wife just called to say the cars broken down. She said the steering wheel got very heavy, the handbrake and ABS light came on the dash board, her indicators wouldnt work. When she pulled over and tried to start the engine again it wouldnt start!

Dont suppose anyone could hazard a guess as to what might be wrong this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Could be the alternator is knackered?

Moanin wrote: »
    Could be the alternator is knackered?

At this stage I think she is going to hand back the car and get her money back for it. Its cost her almost €500 already and she cant trust it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could simply be the alternator belt. Thats not something to go handing a car back over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sounds like the alternator or at least an electrical problem.

mickdw wrote: »
    Could simply be the alternator belt. Thats not something to go handing a car back over.

Mickdw, first week she had the car the tracking was all off. She paid out to get that fixed. Then the GEM module went. She forked out almost €500 to get that sorted. She was told if there was any issues to get on to the guy that sold it to her and he's sort it out. Now the car is after breaking down on the road to Ballinasloe and we couldnt get through to the mechanic. Sorry but I think in the few weeks she's had the car, with all these problems, she's entitled to not trust that its not going to keel over again.

Confab wrote: »
    Sounds like the alternator or at least an electrical problem.

Hiya Confab. The car was in Motorpark 2 weeks ago and had a diagnostic test run on it before the GEM module was replaced. They said nothing else came up on the diagnostic test bas the GEM module issue.

Mickdw, first week she had the car the tracking was all off. She paid out to get that fixed. Then the GEM module went. She forked out almost €500 to get that sorted. She was told if there was any issues to get on to the guy that sold it to her and he's sort it out. Now the car is after breaking down on the road to Ballinasloe and we couldnt get through to the mechanic. Sorry but I think in the few weeks she's had the car, with all these problems, she's entitled to not trust that its not going to keel over again.

Did you buy it with the tracking not set right?

Did you buy it with the tracking not set right?

No. When we test drove the car it was perfect. Drove in a straight line and was perfect. When the car was delivered and she drove it during the week, it pulled to the left, and when you hit the brakes it pulled to the left alot.

And here's the latest - The mechanic is saying that because Motorpark changed the GEM module - they caused this problem and its down to them to fix it :eek:

What a load of crap.

What happened when you contacted the seller to get him to cover some of the cost of GEM unit? Did he give anything?
    If this is another electrical module, I would be getting worried. If its a belt or even the alternator, well its all money but can happen.
    What age is the car? Did the tracking cure the pulling problem?
    I hope the car didnt take a swim at any stage.

• Advertisement

OP if you bought the car privately AFAIK you have no comeback to the seller. Funny though, the car tracking left AND pulling to the left on braking, electrical problems, module corrosion... the car taking a swim might not be too far off the mark as mickdw mentioned.

mickdw wrote: »
    What happened when you contacted the seller to get him to cover some of the cost of GEM unit? Did he give anything?
    If this is another electrical module, I would be getting worried. If its a belt or even the alternator, well its all money but can happen.
    What age is the car? Did the tracking cure the pulling problem?
    I hope the car didnt take a swim at any stage.

Hiya Mick,

Nope, no swimming. One of the good points of living near the top of a hill!
    Nope, never got back to us about covering any of the costs of the GEM module.
    Ive contacted Motorpark to see if they can shed any light on what the problem may be so am waiting on them to get back to me.
    I know things can go wrong in a car but its just strange that theyve gone wrong in the length of time she has it.

OP if you bought the car privately AFAIK you have no comeback to the seller. Funny though, the car tracking left AND pulling to the left on braking, electrical problems, module corrosion... the car taking a swim might not be too far off the mark as mickdw mentioned.

Surely there has to be some rights for the buyer?
    Once the tracking was sorted the car drove perfectly until the GEM module issue. Then that got fixed and all of a sudden this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Not the slightest chance that the seller will take the car back and there is really very little you can do about it. Hopefully the problem is related to the GEM and the garage will fix it free.

It would seriously make you think about buying a 2nd hand car privately. At least with a garage you have some kind of warranty with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The Gem module may be unrelated to the current issue. Time to get back to basics. Have the battery load tested, then the alternator. Then check battery cables and connections that they are tight. Then proceed to other tests It will save money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Surely there has to be some rights for the buyer?
    Once the tracking was sorted the car drove perfectly until the GEM module issue. Then that got fixed and all of a sudden this problem.

The only consumer rights you have with a private seller are that the car must not be dangerous when sold and that it must be as described.

If the seller doesn't mention an non-dangerous defect and you don't ask then tough, caveat emptor.

Hiya Mick,

Nope, no swimming. One of the good points of living near the top of a hill!

I meant that it might have been flooded when previous owner had it!

It would be a long shot at this stage but if it is a case that you start to find a few different electronic units having undue corrosion, well then it would be a possibility.

Advertisement