Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Shuttle and Tank Viewing Tonight Monday

Options
  • 16-11-2009 10:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

At around 7.28pm the shuttle will lift off (live updates) and there appears to be a viewing opportunity to see shuttle and tank again for us in Ireland at around 7:44-7:46pm .

You will need a clear sky LOW to the south west and should see a bright white dot moving smartly west to east with a duller ( orange) dot below and behind , which is the tank that detached over the atlantic .

It will be clearly visible to the naked eye weather permitting .

It is also probable that it will 'wink out' , ie the dots appear to the south west but disappear as it moves from south west to south . This is caused by the sun moving too far west to light it . By the time it moves from south west to south it is too late.

A second viewing opportunity will present itself at 17:19 Tuesday to 17:24 Tuesday , again to the south . The shuttle should be chasing the ISS down hard so you will see two white dots to the south , the larger will be the ISS and the smaller the shuttle following it from behind as it prepares to dock . There will be no wink out at that time of evening an the ISS and shuttle will be visible across the full length of the pass from horizon to horizon . I cannot predict teh precise gap between them .

We had a great view of the shuttle and the tank in July and a lesser one in August and this new opportunity is 100% dependent on clear sky to the south west in the lower 1/2 of the sky in that direction ( it can cloud straight above you and to your north without affecting the sighting.

If anyone gets more up to date info over the day please post. Note that any delay in liftoff beyond the anticipated time of 19:28 our time will mean we do not see it as the sun has moved too far around the earth to illuminate it any more so it it launches after 8pm don't bother looking at all .

I am sure others will update this thread over the day with more precise information than I can manage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Moved from Infrastructure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    At around 7.28pm the shuttle will lift off (live updates) and there appears to be a viewing opportunity to see shuttle and tank again for us in Ireland at around 7:44-7:46pm .

You will need a clear sky LOW to the south west and should see a bright white dot moving smartly west to east with a duller ( orange) dot below and behind , which is the tank that detached over the atlantic .

It will be clearly visible to the naked eye weather permitting .

It is also probable that it will 'wink out' , ie the dots appear to the south west but disappear as it moves from south west to south . This is caused by the sun moving too far west to light it . By the time it moves from south west to south it is too late.

A second viewing opportunity will present itself at 17:19 Tuesday to 17:24 Tuesday , again to the south . The shuttle should be chasing the ISS down hard so you will see two white dots to the south , the larger will be the ISS and the smaller the shuttle following it from behind as it prepares to dock . There will be no wink out at that time of evening an the ISS and shuttle will be visible across the full length of the pass from horizon to horizon . I cannot predict teh precise gap between them .

We had a great view of the shuttle and the tank in July and a lesser one in August and this new opportunity is 100% dependent on clear sky to the south west in the lower 1/2 of the sky in that direction ( it can cloud straight above you and to your north without affecting the sighting.

If anyone gets more up to date info over the day please post. Note that any delay in liftoff beyond the anticipated time of 19:28 our time will mean we do not see it as the sun has moved too far around the earth to illuminate it any more so it it launches after 8pm don't bother looking at all .

I am sure others will update this thread over the day with more precise information than I can manage.

I will be very surprised if it is visible to us tonight. The sunset is at 16:36 so the shuttle should be well into the Earths shadow by the time it passes over Ireland.
    The launch window closes at 19:33 so that would be the latest launch this evening.
    I hope it is visible but I think it will be very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Beeker wrote: »
    I will be very surprised if it is visible to us tonight. The sunset is at 16:36 so the shuttle should be well into the Earths shadow by the time it passes over Ireland.
    The launch window closes at 19:33 so that would be the latest launch this evening.
    I hope it is visible but I think it will be very unlikely.

Sad to say re it being visible Sponge Bob , but agree with Beeker , she will be well in Earths Shadow at that time , would like to be wrong tho and get to see her pass :p

Tnx Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bards

Could clearly see it about a minute ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Right on time rain started here in the west and sky clouded over :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Bards wrote: »
    Could clearly see it about a minute ago

What did you see? one or two moving objects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bards

Beeker wrote: »
    What did you see? one or two moving objects?

Once large really bright orange round flare barley above the horizon, then shorlty after a smaller bright round object, Luckily I have a really good view of the South Western sky from where I live on a hill

Bards wrote: »
    Once large really bright orange round flare barley above the horizon, then shorlty after a smaller bright round object, Luckily I have a really good view of the South Western sky from where I live on a hill

That sure sounds like it! Surprised as I thought it would be to long after sunset to see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope , I knew well it would be low in the SW or nowhere.

Heavens Above shows wink outs like the example below for the ISS at a slightly later time tomorrow night ( around 19:50 or so) . Anyway there are only 5 more chances to see the shuttle and this was worth a shot for those in dry areas with a view SW, I saw nothing myself .

See the partial line from the right of image

As this pass was a tad earlier I gave you about the same info as the ISS pass at 19:50 tomorrow in the orginal post .

Advertisement