Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

number of owners

Options
  • 16-11-2009 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Quick question for the experienced motors heads:

Would you be put off buying a 01 car if you knew it had 7 previous owners?

I presume dealers count as owners if a car is traded in?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

No dealers don't count so it is alot of owners. What type of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

3 series coupe, 80k on the clock. Nct'd 2 weeks ago. no real warning signs apart from the number of owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I have a rule of thumb that each owner should post 50k.

A 01 with seven previous owners should be avoided like the plague IMHO.

Its a Lemon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Fishtits wrote: »
    I have a rule of thumb that each owner should post 50k.

50k? :eek: Are you mad?! :rolleyes:
    So you are saying each owner should have the car on average 4 - 5 years? That is absolutely rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

if i was putting a figure on it i'd prob say 15 - 20k per owner, or 1 to 2 years (at an absolute maximum), depending on the car obviously.

Is there a link to the car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 arthie no no

haircut defo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

if i was putting a figure on it i'd prob say 15 - 20k per owner, or 1 to 2 years (at an absolute maximum), depending on the car obviously.

Totally agree with you. That is a hell of a lot more realistic than the previous poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

My sister did 8k in a Fiesta in 5 years. She's done 6k on her coupe in 3 years.

My brothers done 6k in his Fiesta(a different one) in 4 years.

My dad does 50k a year minimum, and I do 30k a year.

There isn't any rule of thumb, just look at service history, get a mechanic to check over it(if it doesn't have a warranty) and try verify the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Tragedy wrote: »
    My sister did 8k in a Fiesta in 5 years. She's done 6k on her coupe in 3 years.

My brothers done 6k in his Fiesta(a different one) in 4 years.

My dad does 50k a year minimum, and I do 30k a year.

There isn't any rule of thumb, just look at service history, get a mechanic to check over it(if it doesn't have a warranty) and try verify the mileage.

Do they live on the Aran Islands?
    15000 klms per year is average i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i've just got a Focus but was looking at a Primera, it looked pretty cool and all, 03 plate, but 4 owners and 40k on the clock, sounded like a lemon to me so i steered well clear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

paraicr wrote: »

Thanks

If you're getting that number of previous owners from mywheels.ie, it does seem to include the dealer as an owner sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Absurdum wrote: »
    If you're getting that number of previous owners from mywheels.ie, it does seem to include the dealer as an owner sometimes.
    +1
    Mywheels tends to add two or 3 owners sometimes. My mother had a punto for 11 years from new (we registered the car so were definetly the first owners) and it was still in my mothers possesion when it was scrapped last month. yet there was 3 owners listed on mywheels? You get what you pay for it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not unusual for premium or performance carsa to go through owners quickly. 7 is a lot for as many years though. I'd avoid this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

paraicr wrote: »

Thanks
    http://www.mywheels.ie :) free basic car check i always use :)

Provides no. of owner,was it ever written off,engine change,taxi,hackney,when tax expires etc,they also advise you whether to buy or not :)

Actually to point out the comments above i find that mywheels.ie does actually sometimes include dealers as owners,so if it,s been sold 2 or 3 times you've 2 or 3 extra owners? Best bet is pay for a proper background check?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Yeah, i used mywheels to check the car. I dont think 80k is too small for an 8 year old big engine petrol. The guy thats selling it says he has it two years and only puts a few k on the clock each year as he uses a bike for work.

The number of owners is a worry, but it has a service history and I'm getting my cousin to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cartell.ie etc do seem to show up trade movements as owners as I experienced this before on a car I was looking at. Shannon (car reg people) confirmed that they have a trade register which records movements of cars around the trade so best bet in any case is to check the number of owners on the registration cert which the owner has.
    Beware also, the registration cert records "Number of previous owners" so if the current owner of this BMW has a cert saying 7 previous owners, he is infact the 8th owner and you would be ninth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Do they live on the Aran Islands?
    15000 klms per year is average i guess
    Like many people in Dublin, small(<8mile) daily commute to work max and no real usage outside of that :)

Advertisement