Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre NCT??

Options
  • 15-11-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Well i have the NCT in a week..and i dont know whether to get a pre-NCT..a lot of people saying a pre-test is not necessary and that i should just do the test and if it fails i'll get a run down of exactly whats wrong with the car..

my car is not up for a service anytime soon..its a 00 reg. it needs some work..I've a torn CV boot that needs to be fixed,possible tyre wear issue on one side and maybe the breaks need changing(they're not squeaking though) so im not sure..lights are gona need readjustment too. to get all this fixed is gona cost a few quid so should i just do the test and see what happens and then get stuff done? or should i get the pre test first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Well i have the NCT in a week..and i dont know whether to get a pre-NCT..a lot of people saying a pre-test is not necessary and that i should just do the test and if it fails i'll get a run down of exactly whats wrong with the car..

my car is not up for a service anytime soon..its a 00 reg. it needs some work..I've a torn CV boot that needs to be fixed,possible tyre wear issue on one side and maybe the breaks need changing(they're not squeaking though) so im not sure..lights are gona need readjustment too. to get all this fixed is gona cost a few quid so should i just do the test and see what happens and then get stuff done? or should i get the pre test first?

Dont bother with a pretest....waste of money....
    If you know your car needs a cv joint get it done, get the obvious fixed and let the Nct give you a breakdown of what else needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A pre NCT is nothing more than a money racket imo. Things are replaced that may or may not fail the NCT while things that could fail are possibly overlooked.

Just put it through and let the NCT tell you what needs fixing to pass, the retest only costs €27.50 or there abouts which is alot cheaper than pre NCT guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont pay for some random pretest as its a money making scam. However, if it needs a CV boot, get that done but just that & anything obvious. Dont say ... I want a pre nct check as this is money for nothing and they will find many parts to replace and you will never know whether you really needed them or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

thanks lads..
    yeah i was thinking it was a waste of money..the cv boot is a must but the rest is guess work on my part...im just not sure how strict the testers are yknow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nozebleed wrote: »
    thanks lads..
    yeah i was thinking it was a waste of money..the cv boot is a must but the rest is guess work on my part...im just not sure how strict the testers are yknow.

A garage cannot be sure either how strict the testers are. THis is why the pretest is a joke

• Advertisement
Advertisement