Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this kind of thing not be kept quiet?

Options
  • 15-11-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

The calorie counts used as the foundation for diet plans and healthy-eating guidance for the past 18 years may be wrong, a report suggests.

The recommended daily intake of calories could be increased by up to 16%, a draft report by the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition said.

Intake levels are currently 2,000 calories for women and 2,500 for men.

But the panel stresses that people should only eat more if they exercise more, given rising levels of obesity.

The committee says its report provides a much more accurate assessment of how energy can be burnt off through physical activity.

A 16% increase would mean that adults could safely consume an extra 400 calories a day, equivalent to an average sized cheeseburger.

The proposals, seen by The Times and The Grocer magazine, are due to go out for a 14-week consultation period.

Final recommendations will then be made after that time.

Health campaigners say the Department of Health and the Food Standards Agency could seek to "sweep this report under the carpet" in a bid to avoid sending out mixed messages in the middle of an obesity epidemic.

Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum, said it was a "dangerous assumption" to say that adults could safely consume an extra 400 calories a day.

"This is not a green light to eat yourself silly," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8360136.stm

So now being told "we" can eat more. If you read closely that's not what's being stated but I'd worry about people just reading the headline quotes and the message that seeps through is that its ok to eat more.

I personally believe the obesity problem is more down to people not exercising enough rather than eating too much but that's not going to change anytime soon (if ever) and this is a very bad message to send out until most people change their activity levels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

So now being told "we" can eat more. If you read closely that's not what's being stated but I'd worry about people just reading the headline quotes and the message that seeps through is that its ok to eat more.

I personally believe the obesity problem is more down to people not exercising enough rather than eating too much but that's not going to change anytime soon (if ever) and this is a very bad message to send out until most people change their activity levels

agreed but how do you do that when primary schools dont have playing fields or gyms

kids not allowed run ins schools anymore during breaks in case they fall and there might be a legal case against the schools

religious are pulling out of schools and not enough teachers involved to run school sports after hours

Second levels schools have appalling GYM facilities even in the biggest ones

school day should be a little longer with at least 90 minutes of exercise per day in school to get people into the habit

Their predecessors 30-40 years ago were doing that exercise daily by walking/cycling to school, playing sports or working on the family farms/businesses

we have as society accelerated the decline in activity in comparison to USA and look at their obesity problem

Theirs took 30 year to develop, ours will be a massive issue in less than 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

drzhivago wrote: »
    agreed but how do you do that when primary schools dont have playing fields or gyms

kids not allowed run ins schools anymore during breaks in case they fall and there might be a legal case against the schools

religious are pulling out of schools and not enough teachers involved to run school sports after hours

Second levels schools have appalling GYM facilities even in the biggest ones

school day should be a little longer with at least 90 minutes of exercise per day in school to get people into the habit

Their predecessors 30-40 years ago were doing that exercise daily by walking/cycling to school, playing sports or working on the family farms/businesses

we have as society accelerated the decline in activity in comparison to USA and look at their obesity problem

Theirs took 30 year to develop, ours will be a massive issue in less than 10 years

I'd like to do what you suggested there.

One of the things i noticed in a lecture(im doing nutrition in college) is that in Ireland the rate of of overweight/obese individuals is 13%, compared to 23% in the UK

Given our similar genetics/culture I found this gap shocking. I have no evidence but I think it could be something to do with the GAA. Loads of kids are brought to clubs to play because their parents still see it as part of cultural identity. There's nothing similar in the UK.

If there was any truth to this idea I think it would show we need to enforce fitness amongst kids and not leave them to their own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well the 2,000/2,500 numbers are nonsense if you apply them to an individual. Unless you seriously believe two women one 5' 1" and slightly built and the second 6' 2" and heavily built actually need the same amount of calories per day to maintain a healthy weight. A bit like the BMI scale, grand for population studies but with individuals the results need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'd like to do what you suggested there.
    One of the things i noticed in a lecture(im doing nutrition in college) is that in Ireland the rate of of overweight/obese individuals is 13%, compared to 23% in the UK
    Given our similar genetics/culture I found this gap shocking. I have no evidence but I think it could be something to do with the GAA. Loads of kids are brought to clubs to play because their parents still see it as part of cultural identity. There's nothing similar in the UK.
    If there was any truth to this idea I think it would show we need to enforce fitness amongst kids and not leave them to their own devices.

You might be on to something but that is only once or twice a week
    There needs to be more activity

Would love to hear your ideas about how to enforce activity, really think a module in primary school about healthy eating and exercise would yield dividends and worth its weight in gold for society

drzhivago wrote: »
    You might be on to something but that is only once or twice a week
    There needs to be more activity

Would love to hear your ideas about how to enforce activity, really think a module in primary school about healthy eating and exercise would yield dividends and worth its weight in gold for society

That's true but it is quality exercise. Usually you have training during the week and a match on a saturday. That could make a huge difference on bodyfat. Sometimes kids play both hurling and football which would make it four times a week. Also, I think if you introduce a kid to a sport like that early on they'll be more likely to take up rugby/hockey/whatever in secondary school or college.

Ideally I'd like to see a new subject in school. "Health" perhaps. For junior cert it could perhaps be a merger of biology, home ec and PE. Then the science subject that's currently studied could focus solely on Physics and Chemistry. You'd learn about basic physiology, nutrition and cooking/hygiene. Also 40% of the time would be allocated to fitness training. Not sure about a leaving cert subject just yet, have to think about it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Ideally I'd like to see a new subject in school. "Health" perhaps. For junior cert it could perhaps be a merger of biology, home ec and PE. Then the science subject that's currently studied could focus solely on Physics and Chemistry. You'd learn about basic physiology, nutrition and cooking/hygiene. Also 40% of the time would be allocated to fitness training. Not sure about a leaving cert subject just yet, have to think about it more.

This is something that more and more people are calling for and imo is an absolutely brilliant idea. I wouldnt limit it to secondary schools though, this is something that should be taught once a child begins its education. I'd also be in favour of a free weekend course on basic nutrition and health being offered to mum and dads to be, its no use teaching a child about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle if they are going home to pizza and chips or a ready meal from tesco every evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If biology was taken from science and added to PE, i wouldnt be biologying it up today like i am now...

samson09 wrote: »
    This is something that more and more people are calling for and imo is an absolutely brilliant idea. I wouldnt limit it to secondary schools though, this is something that should be taught once a child begins its education. I'd also be in favour of a free weekend course on basic nutrition and health being offered to mum and dads to be, its no use teaching a child about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle if they are going home to pizza and chips or a ready meal from tesco every evening.

+1
    start early and teach life habits
    more beneficial than colouring

Tree wrote: »
    If biology was taken from science and added to PE, i wouldnt be biologying it up today like i am now...

The subject would be mandatory. I think special allowances would have to be made for people who genuinely can't take part in the physical aspect. Perhaps they could have their full grade taken from the nutrition/biology part.

Advertisement