Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat or Mondeo

Options
  • 15-11-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Evenenin' lads :)

Right lookin to buy a second hand car,set out on either a 1.8 04 mondeo or 1.6 03 passat. The father used to have a 01 passat and i loved the thing,obviously ill be test driving both but if there's anyone who owns either or even both you're opinion would be great

Factors like comfort,reliability,MPG etc

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The Passat would be the more comfortable of the two, not much between them in terms of reliability so if both were the same price and had the same mileage I'd go for the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mondeo for me but only the Zetec model with the 125bhp 1.8 litre engine. Avoid the LX model, enigne only has 110bhp and the spec is pretty basic.

1.6 litre engine in the Passat is woeful. Mondeo is a better driver and a fresher design too, you will also get alot more Mondeo for your money that Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mondeo for me but only the Zetec model with the 125bhp 1.8 litre engine. Avoid the LX model, enigne only has 110bhp and the spec is pretty basic.

1.6 litre engine in the Passat is woeful. Mondeo is a better driver and a fresher design too, you will also get alot more Mondeo for your money that Passat.

+1 on everything he said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭mondeo

A 1.6 passat is desperatley underpowered......if you want a good joke be my guest.
    The Mondeo would be my buy, I use to have a 1.8 zetec and their good cars...people keep their distance from ya in one aswell for obvious reasons:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

bazz26 wrote: »

i've found a couple of excellent bargains with the mondeo :) being honest that VW badge adds an extra grand onto the passat! but if there's not much in the difference of reliability im goin for the mondeo,as you said the zetec has more bhp for engine size and a few extra perks,but what about the LX steel? Would i be right in saying it still has 110 bhp and the steel just means they stick some alloys and other shiny bits on it? all in all it looks like im gettin alot more car,alot less mileage,and more savings from getting a younger mondeo compared to a passat,then again passats have always been over-priced havent they?

• Advertisement
Advertisement