Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 today, new one on me!

Options
  • 15-11-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Was driving south on the M50 at approx 1:30pm, a couple of hundred yards behind a HGV, both of us doing ~100kph. A silver Vauxhall Cavelier 00D xxxxxx overtook me at considerable speed, braked hard, and tucked in behind the truck - and I mean about 2 ft from it. I was wondering what on earth he was up to when the toll tag beeped, 10 seconds later he was back out in the overtaking lane and off into the distance. I can only guess he was trying to avoid the toll cameras on the overhead gantry by staying in the trucks shadow. Is this even possible? Very tempted to report him for dangerous driving, he probably does it regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Seen that happen yesterday morning on M50 Southbound. BMW 3 series sat 2ft of a trucks bumper at the toll, then pulled out afterwards and tore off down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Crap......reading this thread has reminded me I forgot to pay my toll :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭Damien360

Pete67 wrote: »
    Was driving south on the M50 at approx 1:30pm, a couple of hundred yards behind a HGV, both of us doing ~100kph. A silver Vauxhall Cavelier 00D xxxxxx overtook me at considerable speed, braked hard, and tucked in behind the truck - and I mean about 2 ft from it. I was wondering what on earth he was up to when the toll tag beeped, 10 seconds later he was back out in the overtaking lane and off into the distance. I can only guess he was trying to avoid the toll cameras on the overhead gantry by staying in the trucks shadow. Is this even possible? Very tempted to report him for dangerous driving, he probably does it regularly.

I have seen that a good few times. People driving within 2 feet of the rear of an artic travelling a 100kmph. One tap on brakes from trucker and it is instant crash. Once they pass toll they overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

But dont the cameras take pics of both front AND rear plates?

i.e. a camera would get the rear plate of that Cavalier..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Silvera wrote: »
    But dont the cameras take pics of both front AND rear plates?

i.e. a camera would get the rear plate of that Cavalier..

nope just the front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

OH It works.

I was heading northbound and was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic from the previous junction and was behind a HGV. I took off the toll tag and put it in the glovebox. It did not beep and I was never charged for it.

What the cavalier did is dangerous to save a small amount but it does in fact work so.............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

go slow protest anyone? :D

Yeah! I've seen a few do that as well, I wouldn't dream of trying that.... unless the average speed was below 20kmh of course. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - it does work. Tailgaiting a lorry (stupid as it is) means that your front numberplate won't be picked up by the overhead camera on the gantry.

Still though, would rather pay a E3 toll than run the risk of driving into the assend of a lorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

What a cheapskate idiot in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Thanks - it was the only possible explanation for the behaviour I could think of. I have to say anyone stupid enough to try this is a good candidate for a Darwin award. I just hope they don't take anyone else with them when they check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

the devilment factor comes in here rahter than just saving 3euro.
    I dont think id have the testies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Love being on a bike - no front numberplate for the cameras to pick up :pac:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Love being on a bike - no front numberplate for the cameras to pick up :pac:
    Bikes are exempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bikes are exempt!

On only one tollbridge. I'm sure they did it out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Bikes are exempt!

Yes because the cameras are the wrong way round :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

OT, my easypass tag doesn't beep. Is it just the newer ones that do, or different brands? I've my one a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nobody else think it's strange that it seems to be people in nice cars that are doing it?
    I could understand someone in a banger who is short a few quid but ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's how they got the flash cars, by not paying their dues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

i knew a guy who would do that at the toll bridge. He would get right up behind the car in front and the barrier would stay up. It worked for ages untill one day he got his timing wrong and it did a couple of grands worth of damage to his new Landcruiser vx!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement