Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an online radio station

Options
  • 15-11-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Been thinking about doing this for a while, anyone got any experince of it?

Been nosing about doing some research and i'm a bit put off with the costs you can run up by getting a decent amount of listeners.

Any feedback welcome on hardware, software, hosting packages out there.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Do copyright laws apply here?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I think some type of discliamer might be ok
    The copyright of the music heard on blahblah Radio is owned by the original artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Disclaimer? Copyright and Disclaimers are different things. You couldn't play any mainstream music for instance or music from record labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

thats not really worth a **** then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

It would have to be a pirate online radio station.. i was running one from my house a few years back..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Stab*City wrote: »
    It would have to be a pirate online radio station.. i was running one from my house a few years back..

Hahah no way, any one we might know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Zascar wrote: »
    Hahah no way, any one we might know of?

Probably not!! Me and a couple of my friends were struggling to get gigs down around here (and still are) only one club here in Limerick that actually takes an interest in booking decent big name dj's, and their residents and promoter lets say are from a different side of the tracks to me and my friends.. so i decided to start a website and the station to have a little outlet for me and my friends.. so ya we were brodcasting for oh probably 6-8 months.. advertising was strictly word of mouth and the playlist strictly electronic (house, progressive, techno). i decided to go with the pirate radio software which looking back now worked quite well you could either broadcast live (on the decks) or set up playlists.. but my computer back then sucked and my internet connection well lets say was not up to much.. so at any one time if you had like 50 people connected things would grind to an absolute halt.. also its pretty tough work if you wanna keep it going 24/7 no way could you have that many dj's at the start so inevitibly you end up either broadcasting at certain times or playing lots of other peoples music through playlists.. there is a whole sub culture element there too lots of people and lots of stations on the net.. and all morethan willing to point ya in the right direction..

but man did we have some fun friday night at mine was like our club with the world as our clubbers (even though i think we only had like 100 total listeners!!:D)

these days i would do it much different plus now i have a powerful machine and a 20mb chorus connection.. man thinking about this makes me wanna start up again!! watch this space for CenadMusic V3!!:cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah bring back the days of 106.8 and Nova etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Stab*City wrote: »
    Probably not!! Me and a couple of my friends were struggling to get gigs down around here (and still are) only one club here in Limerick that actually takes an interest in booking decent big name dj's, and their residents and promoter lets say are from a different side of the tracks to me and my friends.. so i decided to start a website and the station to have a little outlet for me and my friends.. so ya we were brodcasting for oh probably 6-8 months.. advertising was strictly word of mouth and the playlist strictly electronic (house, progressive, techno). i decided to go with the pirate radio software which looking back now worked quite well you could either broadcast live (on the decks) or set up playlists.. but my computer back then sucked and my internet connection well lets say was not up to much.. so at any one time if you had like 50 people connected things would grind to an absolute halt.. also its pretty tough work if you wanna keep it going 24/7 no way could you have that many dj's at the start so inevitibly you end up either broadcasting at certain times or playing lots of other peoples music through playlists.. there is a whole sub culture element there too lots of people and lots of stations on the net.. and all morethan willing to point ya in the right direction..

but man did we have some fun friday night at mine was like our club with the world as our clubbers (even though i think we only had like 100 total listeners!!:D)

these days i would do it much different plus now i have a powerful machine and a 20mb chorus connection.. man thinking about this makes me wanna start up again!! watch this space for CenadMusic V3!!:cool:

Wouldn't it be much quicker to just apply for a slot on an established online station?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ever read the Kitchen-sync thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement