Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line dropping & filter usage

Options
  • 15-11-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Lately, I've been encountering a problem with my broadband connection (supplied by Magnet, incidentally). Any time that a phone call is initiated or received, the broadband connection is dropped. This has only begun to happen recently, and I suspect that it coincided with Eircom supplying a new handset to the house. Could the new handset be causing a greater burst of noise on the line?

Currently, both the phone and the broadband are connected directly to different sockets (no filters). Should I consider adding a filter on one of these sockets? If so, which one? Is there any particular type of filter I should ask for when shopping for it?

Line stats:
    Data rate: 3072 - 384
    SN margin: 21.3 - 16.0
    Output power: 10.2 - 1.9
    Attenuation: 37.5 - 22.0

Any help appreciated.
    --
    Angry.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mr_angry wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Lately, I've been encountering a problem with my broadband connection (supplied by Magnet, incidentally). Any time that a phone call is initiated or received, the broadband connection is dropped. This has only begun to happen recently, and I suspect that it coincided with Eircom supplying a new handset to the house. Could the new handset be causing a greater burst of noise on the line?

Currently, both the phone and the broadband are connected directly to different sockets (no filters). Should I consider adding a filter on one of these sockets? If so, which one? Is there any particular type of filter I should ask for when shopping for it?

Line stats:
    Data rate: 3072 - 384
    SN margin: 21.3 - 16.0
    Output power: 10.2 - 1.9
    Attenuation: 37.5 - 22.0

Any help appreciated.
    --
    Angry.

You need a filter where the broadband is connected to stop noise from the POTS frequencies affecting the ones used by ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

So... I found a couple of filters lying around the house, and gave them both a try, but with no luck - the problem still persisted.

Would placing a similar filter on the telephone line make any difference to the amount of noise its generating when placing / accepting a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

So... I found a couple of filters lying around the house, and gave them both a try, but with no luck - the problem still persisted.

Would placing a similar filter on the telephone line make any difference to the amount of noise its generating when placing / accepting a call?

Are you connecting the modem thru the filter ? Its the phone that has to be connected thru the filter, not the modem. And any phones in the house connected to other sockets also need filters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,075 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Duiske has it right, I'm confusing splitters and filters. The phones/faxes should all have filters.

Advertisement