Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Carney the commentator

Options
  • 15-11-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

How would you rate him?

I heard him for the first time during the 4 Nations and my vote is

Terrible.

Is Brian Carney a good commentator? 6 votes

Thumbs Up
    0% 0 votes
    Thumbs Down
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well at least he gave credit to the Aussies unlike Eddie who had a sulk 60 minutes into the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

He was fairly hopeless yesterday but he is not long at it, so he could improve. Possibly. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

true i guess.

Terry O'Conner did the same but it all seemed a bit hollow.

On Carney, he seems to try really hard but sounds like a... try hard (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wasn't afraid to correct Stevo about a "knock-on" by the aussies, even when Stevo got very condescending. He just needs time I suppose, would much rather see him on the pitch obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Maccattack wrote: »
    How would you rate him?

I heard him for the first time during the 4 Nations and my vote is

Terrible.

Should be on the pitch
    Should have played for Ireland this time out, he has recovered from broken arm hasnt he
    we could do with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Was at the game so didn't catch his commentary, but week in week out on super league he's pretty good, also a very good analyst in the tactical section of Boot's n All. However can become over excited and lose perspective at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

I like Brian Carney as a summariser:D

I think he is knowledgable, insightful and articulate, which unfortunately are qualities absent from Barry Mac and Tez O'Connor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

He's excellent and unlike the other pair of twits, is open to be corrected if he ever makes a mistake.
    He and Phil Clarke are a breath of fresh air on game night. Its painful to listen to the other two wallies, Hemmings and Stevo. They are really bad.

I like Phil Clarke apart from when Wigan are involved. I think he tries very hard to be unbiased but I think it usually comes through in the end. Not surprising when you have had such a stellar career with one English club.

I think we can judge Carney after the same length of time that Clarke has been at it, 10 years.

Oh, and I don't really think having the lads at either try line really adds anything to the summarising, just a bit of a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Far and away the pick of the bunch was the brilliant Tony Rea. Pity he buggered off back to Oz. His analysis was amazing and his ability to explain the tactics of the various teams, coaches was unrivalled. Always learned loads from the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

yes Tony Rae was excellent.

:) Tony Rea is a gent, he endured half an hour of drunken, moronic questions from my half cut brother once. Never once got (visibly anyway) annoyed.

He did so much for the Broncos/Harlequins they should build a statue in his honour!!

Used to sky plus the Sky Sports News interview Tony would do, we have Stevo doing it now instead.

Shame Tony went to the dark side with the Brumbies.

Advertisement