Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The MacKenzie Poltergeist

Options
  • 15-11-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

First off, i'm new so hello everyone!! :D

When it comes to ghosts and hauntings etc I am a complete sceptic (am I allowed say that here?), however a recent reminder of an unexplained incident at my old house has sort of tweaked my interest in this subject, so i'm having a great time reading through old threads here and hearing your stories. Some of them are fascinating. Ok, on topic:

The MacKenzie Poltergeist.

I'm off to Edinburgh for a few days next month and was looking for something to do the first night I arrived, and kept coming across this name. So after a small bit of research i've booked myself on one of the tours to a graveyard and a prison. By all accounts this thing seems nasty, people (apparently) have been bruised and scratched by it.

Has anyone here done any research on this or visited the sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

Hi welcome to boards.ie, so your a skeptic? Lol that's allowed. About The Mackenzie Project I've seen it on one or two shows but haven't looked into it or gone there would be interested to see if others had and their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

any connections to the edinburgh vaults?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

feelio wrote: »
    any connections to the edinburgh vaults?

I'm not 100% sure being honest, but this guy basically murdered thousands in a prison and apparently once his tomb was opened in the late 90's people started getting attacked around the grounds of the prison and graveyard. I cant find anything of studies carried out there, which is a shame, would love some more knowledge before I go. So anyone here have any further info on this or have visited the sites in edinburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

First off, i'm new so hello everyone!! :D

When it comes to ghosts and hauntings etc I am a complete sceptic (am I allowed say that here?), however a recent reminder of an unexplained incident at my old house has sort of tweaked my interest in this subject, so i'm having a great time reading through old threads here and hearing your stories. Some of them are fascinating. Ok, on topic:

The MacKenzie Poltergeist.

I'm off to Edinburgh for a few days next month and was looking for something to do the first night I arrived, and kept coming across this name. So after a small bit of research i've booked myself on one of the tours to a graveyard and a prison. By all accounts this thing seems nasty, people (apparently) have been bruised and scratched by it.

Has anyone here done any research on this or visited the sites?

City of the Dead tours are the crowd that go into GreyFriars Kirkyard where the black Mausoleum is (said to be the home of the the McKenzie Poltergeist). Diffenitly the best tour is in Edinburgh.

I've been on the tour a few times and had the pleasure of chatting to Jan-Andrew Henderson who runs the tours. If you really want to get the most out of it I'd say get your hands on the book "The Ghost That Haunted Itself: The Story of the McKenzie Poltergeist" and read it before you go.

6th wrote: »
    City of the Dead tours are the crowd that go into GreyFriars Kirkyard where the black Mausoleum is (said to be the home of the the McKenzie Poltergeist). Diffenitly the best tour is in Edinburgh.

I've been on the tour a few times and had the pleasure of chatting to Jan-Andrew Henderson who runs the tours. If you really want to get the most out of it I'd say get your hands on the book "The Ghost That Haunted Itself: The Story of the McKenzie Poltergeist" and read it before you go.

Thats the crowd i've booked with, they seem the best way to get a look around and learn some history about the city that conventional tours dont do. How was you experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well nothing happened on the 3 times I was on the tour but having down a tour with every other tour company in the city their tour is still the most interesting and entertaining. Other t ours rely of cheap gimmicks and over do it on the theatrics.

6th wrote: »
    Well nothing happened on the 3 times I was on the tour but having down a tour with every other tour company in the city their tour is still the most interesting and entertaining. Other t ours rely of cheap gimmicks and over do it on the theatrics.

Excellent. I'm really looking forward to this now. Thanks for the info 6th. I find it interesting that the site of europes first concentration camp more or less is haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

I have been on this tour, nothing happened apart from a few photos i took had a few anomalies, orbs etc. What I can recommend is if you go to Edinburgh, def go on the Marys king close tour, its underground.
    http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Tell me what you think of Annies room, it really spooked me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Hey went on the City of Dead tour earlier this year. Nothing too bad happened,got wobbly legs in the vault(but i put that down to the fact that im very lazy and not used to walking around and standing for over hour!!!;) )

Def worth a visit,they are very entertaining, but not in a cheap thrills kind of way. Have fun!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I did the City of the Dead tour twice, it's an excellent tour, but there was no evidence at all of any paranormal activity when I did each tour. I left with the impression that the claims of paranormal activity and attacks on people had been built up around the tour rather than the tour being built upon the allegations, not unlike the way we used the concept of the leprecaun in the past to get the yanks to visit Ireland...

If you think about it, it's 2009, you'd think if people were being attacked by some unseen entity in a vault in Scotland, given the number of "attacks" that the tour operators are claiming to have happened, that there would be some photographic evidence at this stage...

The tour is a well though out performance and the story has been well developed in order to create a viable product for tourists... I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "scam", it is a scary place and you do get the hairs on the back of your neck standing up, but my experience has been that that's about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

I was in Edinburgh last weekend and we did a tour in the vaults, think it was called the terror tour? I thought it was good, deinitely felt some paranormal activity down in the vaults, one of the girls felt someone blowing in her ear twice and the guide made us get out of the vault straight away! My friend had her hair pulled in one of the vaults too - and she's a skeptic so it must have happened!

Well I did as 6th advised and I bought the book, and having read it, I cant wait to go on the tour. I know nothing will happen (probably), but I'm really looking forward to the place. Some good reports about it from people here too. I'll post again Monday night if I can and let ye know how it goes!

Advertisement