Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat TDI Getting very sluggish in 1st

Options
  • 14-11-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Lately ive noticed in 1st gear the car is very sluggish in 1st and to a lesser extent 2nd. 3rd 4th and 5th are fine.

1st gear its 4000rpm before the turbo kicks in, 2nd its around the 3000rpm.

Any ideas on what i can check?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Beyond me how any car can be sluggish in 1st only. The power and torque are the same in every gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

VW/Audi Diesels always had marginal 1st gears, prone to stalling if you didn't give it enough.

Rough buggers. I've got one.

Economical, and if maintained properly bullet proof reliability. But don't expect refinement.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

sluggish in 1st , sorry I cant be of any help but how can a car be sluggish in 1st :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

By any chance did you (or anyone else) recently drive the car very low on fuel?(low fuel warning light on) If so, it may be your fuel pump.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fishtits wrote: »
    VW/Audi Diesels always had marginal 1st gears, prone to stalling if you didn't give it enough.

Rough buggers. I've got one.

Economical, and if maintained properly bullet proof reliability. But don't expect refinement.

Cheers,

Highly geared 1st cog then?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Turbo should start spooling around 2500 rpm in all gears. I expect the sluggishness is down to turbo problem. Possibly the wasegate is stuck open and you're not generating enough boost, but this would usually be accomanied by an engine management light coming on. check all vacuum pipes for rips/tears, especially the one to the N75 wastegate valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fundthementals

If you cannot see anything obvious around the turbo vac pipes etc then i would suspect a faulty MAF sensor - generally responsible for the majority of performance issues with the VAG diesel engines. Simple to change - located on the air intake ducting just behind the air filter box, costs ~ 100 euro as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Well, if your TDI is a 2000ish the turbo should be going full pelt in at 2000rpm. Once my car hits 1800rpm the thing takes off. Its a pity there arent a couple extra thousand RPM after that to make use of it but anyway. Your TDI seems to be acting up somehow but I dont know how that the turbo would kick in later then it should.

tdiclub.com would be a better place to find out info if you are having a problem that no one else seems to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

+1

I have a 2003 Passat Tdi (130) and turbo kicks in also at 1800rpm. What mileage is on it? Ive heard from a ex VW mechanic that around 150k is the point at which the turbo goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Weird that it would only happen in 1st - if there was a problem with something it would affect the engine in all gears. Have you tried the simple things first, clogged air filter, clogged fuel filter, soft tires ,etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

By any chance did you (or anyone else) recently drive the car very low on fuel?(low fuel warning light on) If so, it may be your fuel pump.

Ya i let the low warning light come on last month but i filled it about 20km after it came on.
    +1

I have a 2003 Passat Tdi (130) and turbo kicks in also at 1800rpm. What mileage is on it? Ive heard from a ex VW mechanic that around 150k is the point at which the turbo goes.

im on 155k at the moment so that might be it. expensive fix if necessary??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Ya i let the low warning light come on last month but i filled it about 20km after it came on.

im on 155k at the moment so that might be it. expensive fix if necessary??

If neccessary id recon in the region of 800euro from the dealer. I would approach otto car parts 1st before going next or near the dealer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Right too, main dealers aren't nick-named steakers for nothing. The turbos are handy enough to change in the longitudinally mounted engines, and good reconditioned units can be bought for 750 euro, think my last customers total bill came to just under 950 altogether. pm me your engine code and I'll get you a quote..code will be on a sticker on timing belt cover, something like AHW or ALZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

voxpop wrote: »
    Weird that it would only happen in 1st - if there was a problem with something it would affect the engine in all gears. Have you tried the simple things first, clogged air filter, clogged fuel filter, soft tires ,etc.

A lack of low down boost will be far noticeable in first than in other gears for the simple reason you are starting from the bottom of the rev range and rarely go past the halfway mark before changing to second!

Advertisement