Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic waste contaminates worlds' oceans!

Options
  • 14-11-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else see the programme on TG4 a couple of nights ago about the contamination of the worlds' ocean by plastic waste? It was truly shocking and although as somebody who used to do a lot of beach walking I would have noticed a lot of plastic detritus washed up I had never considered that it was merely the tip of the iceberg. The film showed how even at depths of 1,000 metres the seabed was covered with plastic and some of it so deep that the sunlight was not able to reach it and help its eventual breakdown. Fish, birds etc that were examined all had substantial quantities of plastic lodged in their stomachs and even things like jellyfish were being affected by being caught up in plastic rubbish. The scale of this pollution is so massive that it really is difficult to see any solution.
    There's more about it here: http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Ocean/Moore-Trashed-PacificNov03.htm

sorry I can't post details of the programme - the name was in Irish and I can't remember it or find it online. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

The show is up online on http://tg4.tv/, just go to the 'in Éireann' tab, and it's the Fíorscéal from 12/11/09 (top of the list at the moment..)

The first key thing is to stop any further pollution of this sort, then they should push to try and collect it and recycle it if possible (although that's probably far harder than it sounds!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for the link as I missed the start of the programme - pity it wasn't in English and on RTE 1 where it might have been seen by a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Thanks for the link as I missed the start of the programme - pity it wasn't in English and on RTE 1 where it might have been seen by a wider audience.

... pity more people don't speak Irish :D;)

Honestly though, is there anything that we can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hell I don't know there are just so many environmental issues out there the scale of the problem is almost overwhelming. The production of a lot of this plastic needs to be cut off at source i.e. the banning of plastic drink bottles, making all plastic items recyclable and putting a deposit on ALL plastic containers redeemable when the item is returned. A nationwide programme of removing plastic from beaches regularly - some country, and it might as well be Ireland, should take a lead but I wouldn't hold my breath as Gormless is too busy trying to keep his party from imploding....

Advertisement