Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anderson silva VS Frank Mir?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That articles months old and I'm pretty sure its been written off already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

How is Silva a natural heavyweight, or is something lost in translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dragan wrote: »
    How is Silva a natural heavyweight, or is something lost in translation?
    I think I read he walks around at about 220 which would be a heavyweight (and a quite nasty cut to middleweight too :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

ItsAnOmen wrote: »
    he wouldnt let it go to the ground and if on the ground I reckon silvas JJ is more superior despite Mir having more experience.

Silvas bjj superior to mirs? Highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

I think I read he walks around at about 220 which would be a heavyweight (and a quite nasty cut to middleweight too :eek:)
    id call that a natural light heavyweight tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

If his walking around weight his over 205, technically he is a natural heavyweight. Either way, Silva would take Mirs lunch money and make him cry. Mir is the most overrated heavyweight of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mir is the most overrated heavyweight of all time.

What makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

ain't gonna say that mir isn't overhyped by times but would you even put tim sylvia ahead of him? [mir broke his arm & randy floored him with the first punch] i think these days anyone who get's a sniff of a belt tends to be overhyped & made into a supposed world beater until they're beaten of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

This talk of natural heavyweight is a crock of $hit

Look at Ricky Hatton in the off season he is probably a heavyweight

If you can make middleweight, you are a middleweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Anderson isnt a natural heavyweight, but to be honest i think he has the skills to take on a lot of heavyweights! He doesnt walk around at that weight either, he MIGHT get up to that weight the odd layoff due to injury but he normally walks no heavier than 205-208. In fairness Anthony Johnson is some tank for 170 divison, he weighs well over 200lbs on ur average day

Apparently Kongo is Mirs next guy at 107, I wonder when Anderson will fight again, and who he'l fight?

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    What makes you say that?

The only reason mir is known as a top 20 fighter is because of a lucky kneebar against a supergreen brock, and beating up a heavily staph infected punchbag in Nog. Before these two fights we were all pretty sold on him being a doozie.

Im picking Kongo to beat him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The only reason mir is known as a top 20 fighter is because of a lucky kneebar against a supergreen brock, and beating up a heavily staph infected punchbag in Nog. Before these two fights we were all pretty sold on him being a doozie.

Before all that he was still a former champion:rolleyes:

A former champion who had been bashed by pano de pano in his first mma fight and then knocked out by a 205er :p

Mir is talented somewhat, but he is painfully limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I'd like to see Mir fight a fit Nog just to see if it was indeed a fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

translation: I've been watching 'UFC' for 12 months.

lol. be careful. Not only have i been watching ufc for years, i also trane in it...

Maybe Im being a bit hard on Mir, Hes a good fighter, hes just not a top fighter. Ok, he had some slick submission wins against cans in his early career, and his armbar win over tim was impressive. But between that and the brock and nog fights hes been very hit or miss.

The guy is not a great athlete, has shown pretty ****ty cardio in the past. Hes not particularly strong, and im not sold on his striking by any means. His offensive jits is good but only for the first 2 minutes of a fight.

Above all those things, where i mark him down most is heart, or mental strength, or whatever you want to call it. I dont think he has it. If a fight is not going his way after a few minutes he quits.

I think most of the well rounded heavys in the ufc could beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

lol. be careful. Not only have i been watching ufc for years, i also trane in it...

You train in UFC?? wow i wish i could do that but there only was one UFC in Ireland...... Pity:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

a lot of Mir's cardio etc problems stem from his bike accident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Above all those things, where i mark him down most is heart, or mental strength, or whatever you want to call it. I dont think he has it. If a fight is not going his way after a few minutes he quits.
    Like what happened in the Brock fight, right? Oh no, wait a minute...

You train in UFC?? wow i wish i could do that but there only was one UFC in Ireland...... Pity:(

You can trane too Martin! you just need to get on the internet more. ;)
    cletus wrote: »
    a lot of Mir's cardio etc problems stem from his bike accident

Mirs cardio problems where evident well before the bike accident. He has even remarked on it himself that he never took conditioning seriously.
    Like what happened in the Brock fight, right? Oh no, wait a minute...

Which fight Mark? The one where he got battered to a bloody pulp for 2 rounds, or the one where brock made a rookie mistake in his first real mma fight? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

You can trane too Martin! you just need to get on the internet more. ;)

Mirs cardio problems where evident well before the bike accident. He has even remarked on it himself that he never took conditioning seriously.

Which fight Mark? The one where he got battered to a bloody pulp for 2 rounds, or the one where brock made a rookie mistake in his first real mma fight? :P

Its as simple as this, you dont make it to the UFC by chance, you dont win the UFC HW Belt by chance. The man is a great all round athlete and has some very nice wins in the best organisation in the world (couple of losses too but thats the nature of the game). He came back from a bad accident so deserves props for that alone i reckon. His cardio and standup have come on immensely in the past year also! So how about you get down off the mans back for a second ;) and the word is TRAIN

The second one, the one where he didn't quit, like you said he does, even after taking savage punishment.

I hate when I have to explain salient points, makes them seem less salient somehow.

The second one, the one where he didn't quit, like you said he does, even after taking savage punishment.

I hate when I have to explain salient points, makes them seem less salient somehow.

You lost me at salient you dullard.

I think, you think, you are infallible when it comes to mma, and whatever happens in it. This isnt the mma league Mark. Which although, is a proud endeavour, and a valuable contribution to the local mma scene, doesnt make the members a ****ing authority on all of mma.

I dont think mir is a top fighter. If you do, you must be seeing something I dont. I have no problem with that. I do however think, you, and alot of your posts, can be quite foolish and silly..

I think, you think, you are infallible when it comes to mma, and whatever happens in it. This isnt the mma league Mark. Which although, is a proud endeavour, and a valuable contribution to the local mma scene, doesnt make the members a ****ing authority on all of mma.

I dont think mir is a top fighter. If you do, you must be seeing something I dont. I have no problem with that. I do however think, you, and alot of your posts, can be quite foolish and silly..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Exactly. Anyway, would you believe Mark doesn't even 'train UFC' like you do so what does he know?! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

:eek:

This is unfair and inapropriate. Just because someone doesnt agree with your opinion doesnt mean you can slag them off.

On topic, I dont think Mir is overrated. He certainly is one of the top UFC heavyweights whatever this say about him. Mir had a career threatening injury immediately after winning his title and the UFC made a bad decision to let hi hold on to his title for two years while they waited for his comeback. He fought well against Lesnar, made a mistake and got punished for it but that happens to all fighters even GSP. Its interesting that Lesnar is now reported to have a career threatening illness, i wonder will the UFC play a wait and see game with his belt like they did with Mir.

I am wounded, grievously! I obviously touched a nerve there.

Anyway, I was merely rebutting your point where you said Mir has no heart, I gave you an example of a fight he had where he HAD heart, I didn't say I think he is a top flight fighter, I would have doubts about his well roundedness to an extent, but compared to a lot of the muck in the UFC heavyweight division at the moment, I would certainly rank him towards the top.

Trouble is that now you have outed my fallibility in spheres outside the League, everyone is going to question my posts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Guys, dont make it personal or else infractions will be handed out.

If you cant discuss a topic without resorting to insults, you will always have a home on Sherdog, but not here

I am pretty sure I didn't get personal with him, I thought my response was well measured in light of the attack he launched at me, but I understand that nipping a flame war in the bud is far more desirable than after it has gained steam and post counts, so I will take your reprimand on the chin!

• Advertisement

Trouble is that now you have outed my fallibility in spheres outside the League, everyone is going to question my posts :(

Touche!
    so I will take your reprimand on the chin!

as will I!

Cant believe nobody else tranes ufc around here.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement