Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Doing Religion for the Leaving?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Anyone Doing Religion for the Leaving? How hard is it? I'm thinking of taking it up independently because my school don't do it as an exam subject, but I'm just wondering has anyone any feedback on it ie. what it entails etc?

Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I'm not doing it, but 2 of my friends are doing it (higher level)
    There's a lot to cover in the course, and pretty much any essays can come up in the exam according to my friends
    You also have to do some kind of project, and I think my friends' class are doing something to do with the Bible.
    Their teacher also said that it's really difficult to get an A in, and only 8 people got A1's in the exam this year. Both of my friends are really good at it, but they both reckon the highest they'll be able to get is a B2/B3.
    I'm sure there's easier subjects to pick up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

You don't know when the deadline for the project is no? What would you think are easier subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭woodzyx

Yeah, basically what Laura said. I'm in 6th year doing it and I took it up last year thinking it'd be an easy points builder- well it isn't at all really. There's definitely a lot more work involved than I thought there'd be starting off.

For the actual exam you're expected to write 4 essays, which is fine but that's out of a possible 60 essay titles. And because it's only a new subject, there's no pattern of questions yet so it's basically impossible to predict what questions will come up ont he exam. At least with the History course you have an idea what questions to expect.
    And of course yea there is journal work that we haven't started yet.

Saying all this I do really like the subject - I find it really interesting and the work itself isn't hard like Chemistry or Applied maths... it's just a case of being able to remember a lot of things and being able to write essays well. And obviously it helps if you have an interest in religion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭woodzyx

Mary007 wrote: »
    You don't know when the deadline for the project is no? What would you think are easier subjects?

Here you go:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055725908&page=2

I don't think anyone else can really tell you though. None of them are 'easy'. It depends what interests you and what you're good at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Mary007 wrote: »

No, I haven't a clue sorry :P
    Em, well out of my subjects I find Business the easiest. It seems like there's a lot to cover, but it's easy to study it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I wouldnt unless you are willing to work a lot at it, it is not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 davehalligan

Thank god my school don't make us do it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

We do it for the JC but not for the LC.... I don't know why that is.... It's easy points from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Thank god my school don't make us do it.

The irony.

Dont think any schools have it as a compulsory subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 donam321

im doing it just finishrd my coursework on it act... deadline not till sometime in april me thinks :o im finding it easy comparing ta some subjects a mate of mine did it last yr she studing it now in mater dei she said its easy points :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

i do it and find it quite hard! all the philosophy seems to go right over my head :/

donam321 wrote: »
    im doing it just finishrd my coursework on it act... deadline not till sometime in april me thinks :o im finding it easy comparing ta some subjects a mate of mine did it last yr she studing it now in mater dei she said its easy points :eek:

Ya the sound of kind of appeals to me from what I've heard/researched.. Can you recommend any book for it or revision book? Can you request to sit another exam even if the school don't offer it does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

I sat this exam last year and got a B1 in honours. Repeating this year for an A1.

You would a teacher to show you how to answer an exam question (technique, structure etc.) The easiest way to study it is by going to ress.ie and printing off the syllabus - there is pretty much a list of every possible question there. Work through it systamatically - you need to be a good waffler aswell tbh. Dont worry too much about the philosophy - its really quite easy once you break it down.

Is there easier subjects to pick up? I dont know, but if you are good at writing and have an interested in religion, the nature of the transcendant and how it influences human behaviour and life etc, morality, etc. you should find it doable.

Note that for the project you will need a registered religion teacher to sign off confirming that it is all your own work.

lorna100 wrote: »
    I sat this exam last year and got a B1 in honours. Repeating this year for an A1.

You would a teacher to show you how to answer an exam question (technique, structure etc.) The easiest way to study it is by going to ress.ie and printing off the syllabus - there is pretty much a list of every possible question there. Work through it systamatically - you need to be a good waffler aswell tbh. Dont worry too much about the philosophy - its really quite easy once you break it down.

Is there easier subjects to pick up? I dont know, but if you are good at writing and have an interested in religion, the nature of the transcendant and how it influences human behaviour and life etc, morality, etc. you should find it doable.

Note that for the project you will need a registered religion teacher to sign off confirming that it is all your own work.

I do have an interest and my English is good so I'm hoping this will suit me! What book are you using? Thanks for your help btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

No problem - i use the veritas books.
    The syllablus is divided up:
    Sec 1 is compulsary - you will need 'the search for meaning and values' book
    Sec 2 you must choose to do two of the following - christianity, world decisions or moral decision making. If you are a christian the christianity section is alot of common knowledge that you would have been taught through primary and secondary school teaching. Moral decision making isnt difficult either.
    Sec 3 you must choose 1 from a number of different units (i cant remeber what they all are) I did worship, prayer and ritual. Personally its the easiest of the lot.

The books come seperatly, ie sec 1 is one book, sec 2 a different and each different unit in sec 3 is a different book.

The project part is due around april but it takes quite a while to do, ive just started mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 donam321

well der not really any good revision books jus really internet i get all notes from it find it the eastiest f yave any questions let me kno see can i help!!:rolleyes:

lorna100 wrote: »
    No problem - i use the veritas books.
    The syllablus is divided up:
    Sec 1 is compulsary - you will need 'the search for meaning and values' book
    Sec 2 you must choose to do two of the following - christianity, world decisions or moral decision making. If you are a christian the christianity section is alot of common knowledge that you would have been taught through primary and secondary school teaching. Moral decision making isnt difficult either.
    Sec 3 you must choose 1 from a number of different units (i cant remeber what they all are) I did worship, prayer and ritual. Personally its the easiest of the lot.

The books come seperatly, ie sec 1 is one book, sec 2 a different and each different unit in sec 3 is a different book.

The project part is due around april but it takes quite a while to do, ive just started mine.

Okay, thanks!! Got the first two sections, sorry for being a pain but do you have the exact title of the third section? I'll get mam to get it tomorrow haha!! Thanks for all the help, I'm really motivated to do it now!

I've found it, it's okay thanks!! Just one more thing on the projects, much research involved and is there anywhere you can download like a sample booklet to get the structure right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

donam321 wrote: »
    well der not really any good revision books jus really internet i get all notes from it find it the eastiest f yave any questions let me kno see can i help!!:rolleyes:
    where do u get your notes from? Has anyone got any idea what exactly we have to answer on? Really starting to freak out about my exams and am looking to take on any extra subject i can!!!

Advertisement