Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation for older house

Options
  • 14-11-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have an older house (1930's or so) with no attic insulation and needless to say it is freezing. The ceiling joists have a 25cm spacing between them and are 12cm deep. Part of the attic space is floored (for storage) and there is no insulation under the flooring either.
    What can I do to insulate as much as possible of the entire attic space. I'd rather do the work myself but would like some advice on what to get re: rockwool, fiberglass, space blankets etc. B&Q are currently doing a buy one get on free so I might try and get something from them if it was suitable. Any suggestions?
    The products I have been looking at are the
    Spaceblanket
    Recycled plastic 150mm insulation
    and the
    fiber glass wool roll

Obviously some of the above are deeper than the 12cm of my joists but a few of them claim to be able to go over joists. Could this be a problem or is it standard practice? Also, how useful is laying something like this
    insulation board
    or this
    thermal foil
    on top of the existing flooring and just leaving it or should I take the floor boards up and put insulation underneath?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

You can insulate attic in few ways
    the most popular one would be to put a rockwool or fibreglass between rafters fit them gently to fill all spaces do not squeez it to much but don't leave any gaps especialy near roof plates and ridgeboard.
    then fix a battens across rafters and install insulation boards horyzontaly or,
    you can use thermal foil

the other way wuold be to put 2 or 3 layers of rockwool all over the attic floor from roofplate

Advertisement