Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

450W Power Supply

Options
  • 14-11-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 450/500W power supply with a good reputation, for less than €60 including delivery. Where can I find something like this?? I've already done some browsing around komplett and elara but nothing's fitting the bill so far.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404885

That about the best one I can see for under €60 inc shipping (Komplett shipping is €12.50 IIRC)

What are you trying to power ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't mention the full list of what I'm getting as that would probably drag the thread into "You should get a modular 650W PSU minimum" followed by rebuttals. What I'll say is: I'm going with a 350W power supply successfully for 3 years, but now there's a CPU upgrade from a 65W TDP rated CPU to an 89W TDP rated CPU. The graphics card is also being upgraded from a Nvidia 7300GT to an ATI HD4770. 400W would probably accommodate the jump in power but 450W leaves me with comfortable room for longevity.

The difference in price between 400W and 450W power supplies is a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

That 400 Watt Corsair should be fine for that setup.I ran my setup (as it is in my sig) with a HX450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What kit is in there? And what CPU are you talking about? The HD4770 needs feck-all power (~50W at full load) so a decent 400W like the CX400 should be fine. You won't be needing 30A of 12V juice unless there's a big RAID array hidden away in there somewhere! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Thanks for that info. Like I said, a 350W is powering the computer fine with a card that needs up to 30W I think.

Current CPU has a TDP of 65W and I might upgrade the CPU to a Phenom II X2 550 aswell, which has a TDP of 89W. Motherboard/build issues in general have already been dealt with. I'm not sure if the CPU would need a much stronger 12V rail. Just one plain jane hard drive in use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If there aren't many drives in there then the CX400 will work no problem. Stock clocks you're talking ~200W draw theoretical (i.e. running multiple instances of Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously!) and ~150W draw in the real world (i.e. intense gaming) so you have some good margin for overclocking before you even start to push gaming power consumption past the CX400's point of maximum efficiency (~45-55% of total capacity) so it ain't gonna break a sweat :D

And IIRC the stock TDP (theoretical max, not real-world) for the X2-550BE is 80W. Not that anyone will be running it at stock ;)

Advertisement