Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Prices

Options
  • 14-11-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Well Its time to get our Vegas (Boxer) her yearly booster and the kennel cough shot. I rang the vets and they said 95 euro I think thats insane money. Can someone recommened someone around the dublin area that would be cheaper or somewere else we could go.

The insurance doesnt cover shots but if we didnt get them and she got sick i bet they wouldnt cover that either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Did you price it up the North? Could be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

cant say i have prob a lot of hassle to bring her up there

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

I see you live in North County Dublin---so I think also that it would be worth a try to see what is on offer in maybe Newry--
    All Vets charge a 'paw and a leg' ,especially in Dublin

lol very good. well it would prob cost 15 quid to get up there so doesnt really make sense to do that i dont reckon. there must be a reasonable vet in dublin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Would you think of taking your dog to a GP vet rather than a small animal clinic? And one that isn't in Dublin or the surrounding areas. It could prove a less expensive option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

€95 for two vaccinations sounds crazy, even for Dublin! My vet charges €35 or €40 for vaccinations (I am in the Dublin area). Perhaps it would be worth your while ringing a few vets in your area and asking how much they charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

42 for booster and 22 for kennel cough. 95 does seem a little steep!

ye im still in shock ill be putting it of until I get a better price

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Just came across this thread,

I was also stung for €95 recently in Lissenhall Veterinary Hospital Swords!

I'm pretty sure this time last year it was only about €70! Hence, I didn't bother checking prices over the phone.

Needless to say I'll be shopping around next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I usually pay €20 to €35 for booster shots in Celbridge in Kildare. In that price it includes, Worming, de-fleaing & nail clipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I go to a vet in D3. €45 for cat booster plus full check over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pat.gb

it recently cost me 48 for a cat RCP vaccine + full checkup (D7). I was wondering if this was a standard price?

Funny, it's been a year since my last post on this forum and obviously we've had another annual check up, this time it was only €40, this included their annual cat flu/leukaemia vac, is this a RCP? I've no idea what that means!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pat.gb

The RCP is against rhinotracheitis (or feline herpes), calcivirus and panleukopenia (feline distemper). My cat had already got the Flu vaccine in the shelter but I've been reading and it seems like they are normally given together so your cat probably got both, together with the Leukemia one.

In any case, I don't think it makes much difference in price for each specific vaccine. €40 is definitely a bit cheaper, is this the veterinary clinic in Clontarf?

It's Fairview Veterinary Hospital. Main vet there, Ciaran, is super nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My neighbour was complaining that her vac bill had doubled in a year. I wonder if there is any reasonable explanation. I suspect that Irish Vet charges will rise as insurance becomes more popular. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that this is the case in the UK.

Has anyone bought vaccines over the net ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Vaccinations aren't covered by pet insurance, so I can't imagine vets would put their prices up for them. Also, pets who do not get annual checkups/boosters may not be covered by their insurance if they do make a claim for something else.
    I do think €95 is pretty steep though- €36 for booster + €23 for kennel cough where I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone bought vaccines over the net ?.

Vaccines are technically prescription only, so I'd be VERY wary of buying something like this online as you could be getting anything. A bit like buying human prescriptions online.
    You can, however, buy vaccines over the counter at many vets or pharmacies and give it to your pet yourself. This means that you don't get a cert though, so if you are putting your dog into kennels you might have trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I pay EUR40 for vacinations and kennel cough. In addition to these, she gives him a quick once-over - checks his ears, eyes,teeth, nails and listens to his heart and weighs him - all of that is recorded on his chart, so next year she can see how he's faring. He's a very healthy dog anyway, so not sure if she does more with a dog that has problems. He just had his vacinations for this year and price was the same and this is his 3rd time there.

An added bonus is that he likes her and is quite happy to toddle off into her surgery.

Advertisement