Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret dog walking spots.

Options
  • 14-11-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,
    We got a 1 year old puppy from the pound about 3 months ago. He's a cross bread with a bit of Collie in him. He's very energetic and needs lots of walking. Sometimes walking him on the lead isn't enough and he needs to be let off the lead to get enough exercise.
    For whatever reason, probably due to the life he had before he was in the pound, he's very anxious and nervous around other dogs. I'm wondering if there are any good quiet enclosed spots around Longford other than the Mall where he could be walked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Hi Silver
    Congrats on your new adoptee ... hope he's settling inwell. I also have a collie cross - she's not quite a year old and also a bit nervous - unless she's chasing rabbits or rounding up children!
    You could walk her at the rugby pitch - plenty or room to run, the bog at clondra/knappogue (bring your wellies).
    I usually mix my walks between lead walks and field runs - try any of the fields around the town - as long as they have no livestock in them!!! Happy walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Knit wit wrote: »
    I usually mix my walks between lead walks and field runs - try any of the fields around the town - as long as they have no livestock in them!!! Happy walking.

Probably best to ask the landowner first, lest they whip out a shotgun when they see a dog running around on their land...

Knit wit wrote: »

If I caught you trepassing on my land, I'd bollix you into next week.
    How would you like it if some intruder tramped through your property!

Besides that is dangerous, cows will see dogs and strangers as a threat to their young.
    Wasn't there a woman killed trepassing on someones land in Westmeath last year??

I go walking around Lough Rynn estate on the way to Mohill. It is about a twenty minute drive from the town though. But there is a lake for the dog to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Thanks for the replys.
    He does like to swim also, we bring him down to tarmonbarry for that. On the roscommon side of the river, on the opposite side of the road to the Marina, if ye get me, theres a handy little track for walking or swimming. It's a bit short though.

We brought him down the bog in Ferefad saturday and sunday. I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. Its perfect, no distractions such as other dogs and no livestock especially sheep for him to annoy. I'd reccomend a bog to anyone looking for a place to excercise a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

search on Google Maps for Glenoghil, in Killoe, just a few miles from town. Lots of well gravelled tracks through Coillte forest land. Can give more specific directions if needed, but its just along the side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

We brought him down the bog in Ferefad saturday and sunday...

Just down the road from me... but far enough away so that your dog won't be bothering our cats! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

If you are willing to drive for a bit - go visit Lough Key Park in Co. Roscommon - its near Boyle - its a huge forrest park - with milions of trails - you can go and let them off the lead for hours and not bump into anyone somedays - weekends can be a bit busy there - but if you are free during the week at all - its defo worth a visit - its our local park so I take my dog every day - and I vary the places we go - there is a huge lake in the middle so that's always fun for them in the summer - plus there is always water eventually along all of the paths aswell - so go far enough and you'll still find a place for them to paddle! And I've been going there for 2years and I've never gotten a complaint or a bad word for not having him leashed at all times - my dog usually likes most other dogs so he's happy to have a play for a few minutes if we meet anyone but its quite rare that you would meet someone there - so it's well worth the trip out some time!!

Also someone mentioned Lough Rynn aswell - that is a bit nearer to longford so it might be a bit handier - and I've only been there once and it was quite busy - but was also very nice - so that might also be an option aswell

Good luck and happy walking & wagging!!

search on Google Maps for Glenoghil, in Killoe, just a few miles from town. Lots of well gravelled tracks through Coillte forest land. Can give more specific directions if needed, but its just along the side of the road.

Hi, Just wondering if you could tell us where this spot is, can't seem to find it on google maps. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

From town take first left on dublin side of ballinalee roundabout, follow this road on through Cullyfad Village, 1 mile past here there is a crossroads at a house, go straight on and about a hundred metres past that there is a small road going off up to the right, and if you go up that for a mile you'll see the road for the forest on the right.

Usually the shortest way from town is to head out towards Ballinalee and turn right in Esker but there is a diversion through Ennybegs at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

ya i walk my cat near that balinalee roundabout.. great place for pet exercise!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up, It's a bit of a distance for us to go specifically to walk the dog, but I'll keep it in mind if i'm ever heading over that way.

By the way, did you just join the forum to make that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

We take our dog around the Mall in Longford (where the swimming pool is). It's dog friendly unlike other places...

In Ireland its very hard to find good walking places. In the UK private lands are much more accessible ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

I walk my two dogs on the canal in longford. if your dog is very nervous you can skip the first part (from the old fonderman factory site to the second bridge at the grave yard) and start the opposite side of the athlone/lanesborough road.

If your dog comes back when you call him you should have no problem letting him off the leash. Although I keep both of mine on the leash when there are ducklings.

I would recommend that you meet other (stable) dogs on purpose to get your dog used to seeing other dogs...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

@Loughrynn, please PM me to discuss you proving you represent who you say you do before I'll allow your further representation of a business here. Alternatively, contact one of our Community Manager's as I'm sure they'd be happy to sort it out.

@Gerard.C, Not sure what that was about but based on the response your post earned, I can only assume you were being insulting. Please don't.

@silver campaign, Please use the report post feature rather than replying to an abuse post with more personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

:DBefore anyone lights on me for not starting a new thread and "bumping" an old one can I apologise and say I dont actually know how to start a new thread! I have heard there is a pool in Meath or Louth that allows dogs in, and am wondering if anyone has any information about it or has heard about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

:DBefore anyone lights on me for not starting a new thread and "bumping" an old one can I apologise and say I dont actually know how to start a new thread!

The "New Thread" button.

Advertisement