Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limestone window cills

Options
  • 14-11-2009 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting 220mm deep Limestone cills (sills?) for our house build..

So far I've been onto Manorstone, DoubleL, StoneWorld but I'd be very grateful if ye wise boards heads could suggest/PM me recommended suppliers. Build is in Limerick/Clare border area.

Is Limestone very heavy compared to concrete cills?
    Would 2 lads be able to lift Limestone cills (up to 8 foot long) in place or would I need to hire some lifting gear to guide them into the blockwork. (2 storey house)

How prone to cracking are Limestone cills?
    Bit worried about this as the cills for the 1st floor windows will be sitting on site for a few weeks until the precast floors and blockwork are ready. I've heard the limestone needs to be set down on perfectly level area, resting solidly with no gaps under the stone, completely supported.

Anyone used Chinese limestone or know if it is any good?

I will also check with suppliers that the cills being quoted for cut from a single, solid piece of stone - and not 2 pieces with the upstand bonded onto the main piece.

Anything else to watch out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ferocious

rok,

I was asking about the Chinese limestone not so long ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734282

Chinese is much cheaper but I ended up going with the Irish stuff in the end, no major scientific reason why, just reservations as mentioned in the other thread. I went with Irish Natural Stone, Tubber Co. Clare (no connections). Not the cheapest but there was a convienence aspect (I can collect so save a bit there) also trying to keep business relatively local once costs/prices are some way compeditive.

Try portlaoise stone, found them fairly compeditive also.

I found that suppliers were saying for the flat cills, the upstand is bonded on. The splayed ones are all cut from one piece and consequently more expensive.

I know there's some wieght in them but if there wasn't too many cills in it, could they be brought up the stairs and passed out the window (assuming there's scaffold) to be fitted?

Advertisement