Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right so this strike on the 24th...

Options
  • 14-11-2009 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Any idea if it'll affect community ante-natal services? My week is eight months pregnant and has a scan booked for that day but will these services be open?

Their office won't be open until next week so I thought someone here might know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Who's striking on the 24th???

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

Public Service strike called for by the ICTU on Nov 24th, to protest against proposed pay cuts (Government want to cut €1.3 billion from the public sector pay bill), . From what I understand, schools and universities are likely to be closed and hospitals providing emergency cover only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

hmmm, wonder if me boss will let me take a day off in solidarity with me Irish bruvvers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

nesf wrote: »
    Any idea if it'll affect community ante-natal services? My week is eight months pregnant and has a scan booked for that day but will these services be open?

Their office won't be open until next week so I thought someone here might know?

It looks like the day of action will go ahead [at this point in time], it may go to the wire, and be revoked at the last moment.

I have a series of phone calls this week to see if I will be reporting for duty on that day. The claim is that it is to facilitate payroll, but since my wages are for the past two weeks, it makes no sense.

I would rather be in work that day and not lose a days wage, but some points have to be made, and this appears to be the only way of making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

They said on the news that in general it would be a Christmas Day service so I presume scans etc will be changed - they said elevctive surgery and outpatient clinics would most likely be cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

Strikes are hell for student nurses.
    The college expects us to work on the day if we are rostered on or we will incur time owing.
    The HSE expects us not to cross a picket line.

There is no middle ground:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

They said on the news that in general it would be a Christmas Day service so I presume scans etc will be changed - they said elevctive surgery and outpatient clinics would most likely be cancelled

Well on the news they said they'd be closing Addiction services and sending non-critical patients in wards home, which honestly to me sounds crazy but there you go. Irresponsible doesn't even begin to describe this to be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Strikes are hell for student nurses.
    The college expects us to work on the day if we are rostered on or we will incur time owing.
    The HSE expects us not to cross a picket line.

There is no middle ground

For student nurses in relation to strike action, the following applies. Should a student nurse be rostered to attend clinical placement, they must attend their training hospital at the time of the commencement of duty and report to the ward manager, should there be insufficient supervision to allow the student to practice under the required level of supervision be it Assisted Level (1st, 2nd year) Supervised Level (3rd Year, 4th Year Supernumary) the student is obliged by the code of professional conduct for each nurse/midwife to make it known that they cannot practice safely and seek to attend self directed learning i.e go to the library and study for the duration of the strike action. Some hospitals will simply make this decision without the student seeking to do so i.e AMNCH Tallaght who will automatically assign all students to SDL during strike action. Furthermore undergraduate supernumery student nurses have no right to engage in strike action. To engage in industrial action, one must have a legitimate grievance with ones employer. As you are not an employee, you can have no grievance. You are entitled to join in solidarity with your colleagues in nursing in your own time, or call in sick (should you be genuinely ill *wink wink*) and thus incur time owing. For Nursing Interns (previously referred to as Rostered Student Nurses, you are an employee of the HSE and are entitled to have a grievance and thus are entitled to engage in Industrial Action. However the Standards and Requirements for Nurse Education set out by ABA, and supported by EC Directives set out a minimum exposure to clinical practice and you would still be obliged to repay this time as time owing, which would be paid work hours usually at the end of your Internship. Also, it would be frowned upon for a Nursing Intern to cross a picket owing to the fact that you are practicing at Independant Level and this could be seen as "scab" labour. Either way, the best person to advise you is your CPC or Allocations Liason Officer in your primary Health Service Provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

nesf wrote: »
    Well on the news they said they'd be closing Addiction services and sending non-critical patients in wards home, which honestly to me sounds crazy but there you go. Irresponsible doesn't even begin to describe this to be honest about it.

Well I'm in the former, arrangments for patient care are in place, so yeah unless its called off at the last minute, we closed on Tuesday. A right pain having to cancell appointments, but no choice really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

have gotten an email from the IMO (irish medical organisation) to say that while tehy support the strike they are not participating in it, therefore tehy expect us to go to work as normal that day.

but it doesnt affect me as i'll be on my holidays in sunnier climes, far away from teh apocalypse-like conditions here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

sam34 wrote: »
    have gotten an email from the IMO (irish medical organisation) to say that while tehy support the strike they are not participating in it, therefore tehy expect us to go to work as normal that day.

but it doesnt affect me as i'll be on my holidays in sunnier climes, far away from teh apocalypse-like conditions here!
    Got the same mail , have to attend a health center on tuesday which will be closed !!
    Sorted all issues last week but still have to show my face ;)

Advertisement