Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant women urged to get swine flu vaccine

Options
  • 14-11-2009 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eymheykfidid/rss2/
    Pregnant women urged to get swine flu vaccine

13/11/2009 - 16:13:42
    The Health Minister is urging pregnant women to avail of the swine flu vaccine following the latest deaths from the virus this week.

Some 45 pregnant women have been hospitalised to date with swine flu while one pregnant woman from the east died this week from the illness.

Speaking at an emergency medicine conference in Co Clare today, Minister Mary Harney urged women to follow doctors recommendations on the vaccine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

I'm 14weeks pregnant tomorrow and after weeks of driving myself crazy with the what ifs. I decided that I am going to get the vaccine, I made this decision after hearing about the pregnant woman in the East dying from the swine flu. I would rather have a child with God forbid side effects from the vaccine rather than have no baby or for my baby to have no mother.
    I am now confident with my decision and I can't explain the relief!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am over 17 weeks now and got the jab just over 2 weeks ago...the maternity hospital I attend was dong them yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You'v got to make your own call on this. But we've been vaccinating pregnant women in Oz for a good while now, with no problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've had the Swine and Seasonal Vaccines now. No reactions thank jeebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Had my baby 4 weeks ago and the jab wasn't available when I was pregnant but I am getting it on Wednesday. Figure if I get it I cant catch it and spread it on to my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I was dubious, but have decided to go for it. I'm 14 weeks on wed, so getting it thurs. I was reassured by the doc saying that the baby wouldn't get the vaccine, just the antibodies. I've opted for the one without the adjutant from the HSE clinic, but there seems to be confusion over a booster or 2nd jag. anyone know anything about this.

That said, there is a fair bit of scaremongering out there. The pregnant girl who died (RIP), while not having an underlying condition, did have a high-risk pregnancy.

Still, I work in a school, so I won't take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

a high risk pregnancy? what do you mean?

I hear they are giving it to pregnant people before 14 weeks now, I am definately going to get it. I couldnt imagine not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I am currently living in the USA and had my H1N1 shot a month ago, as they are also strongly recommending it for pregnant women here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 langers

I got mine today and am glad i got it done. The only thing is they say i have to get a second dose in 3 weeks time - is anyone else in the same position. they are saying everyone has to get it twice. I have no underlying conditions - only pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i'm just the same i got it done 2 weeks ago and was told to come back in 3 weeks for a 2nd dose, it was the one beginning with P (mumnesia strikes again):D although i read in the paper at the weekend that the one i got only needs one dose now, so i'm no wiser but i'm for the gp in the morning and i'm going to find out for definate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I went to get mine last week but had a temperature (have had a chest infection) so was put on antibiotics for another week!

Going back tomorrow to hopefully get the vaccine! Fingers crossed I can have it this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

got mine done 2 weeks ago and was talking on phone to HSE today and advised i will be called back in a week or so for a second jab for definite

Same here, though it was done at my GP.

hiya cathy, havent logged in here in a bit. how are you getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have decided not to get it just in case. I'm sure its fine but I just dont have total faith in it at the moment to risk it besides which I'm due this week so I dont think waiting a few days more will make a major difference.

I will get it myself after the birth but not until then. I'm planning to breast feed and I'd feel safer about passing the benefits onto him that way.

hiya cathy, havent logged in here in a bit. how are you getting on?
    We had a bad scare, hopefully baby is OK now...how are you?

We got the flu jab early as I have underlying medical conditions too but it was still over 14 weeks.

im fine - just living for my 9th dec app. there are so long between my apps that i feel great for about 2 weeks and then start convincing myself things are going wrong for wks on end again till i get the scan.
    so glad that you pulled through the scare. i think we are all behind you on this one :)

Got my vaccine this morning! My arm is very flippin sore after :(

The doctor told me to make an appointment to come back in 3 weeks for a second dose but then while I was waiting around for 10 minutes he came out and told me that it wasn't necessary so thats good!

I'll almost me ready to pop in 3 weeks anyway :D

Got my vaccine this morning! My arm is very flippin sore after :(

The doctor told me to make an appointment to come back in 3 weeks for a second dose but then while I was waiting around for 10 minutes he came out and told me that it wasn't necessary so thats good!

I was with the gp yesterday and was told that the second vaccine isn't necessary... thank god.. got it in my left arm and it was so sore after i couldn't lie on that side for 3 or 4 nights... and my right side is my gammy hip and i can't sleep on that side either...:eek: i can't wait til i can sleep on my belly again!!! :D 5 weeks and counting!!! (or 7 knowing me:D)

Got mine this morning too. Bet we go it in the same clinic Crazy Cat Lady! The place was packed all for swine flu jab.

• Advertisement

I went to the GP and it was all very civilised! I've heard that the clinics can be pretty mental tho!

Does your arm feel like its gonna fall off now? Mine is so sore! Stupid (but lovely) husband keeps accidentally patting/rubbing/knocking the jab site too :(

Cbyrd - we must be due around the same time! I bet this is going to be the longest 5 weeks ever!

i'm due on christmas eve... have told my other 2 santy's going to leave it under the christmas tree but he wont' be bringing presents!!! hahaha i'm so mean... my eldest told me not to be so silly...:rolleyes: :D

I went to the GP and it was all very civilised! I've heard that the clinics can be pretty mental tho!

Does your arm feel like its gonna fall off now? Mine is so sore! Stupid (but lovely) husband keeps accidentally patting/rubbing/knocking the jab site too :(

Cbyrd - we must be due around the same time! I bet this is going to be the longest 5 weeks ever!

My arm was fine all day but just in the last hour my son leaned on it and it felt like there was a sore lump on it. Can't see anything though. Glad its over and done with. Dreading the kids getting it....the eldest isn't great with things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

I got my vaccination this morn in the Neptune Stadium in Cork and have to say the staff and nurses were so nice and helpful and were more than willing to listen to all my concerns etc.
    So far so good no reaction. The only thing is; like other posters are saying the nurse told me that I will have to go back in 3weeks for another dose:confused:
    Which I'm really not happy about because I was so conflicted for so long on getting a single dose, it never even occured to me that I'd have to get another one!
    My mum had her vaccination 2weeks ago and rang her GP today who told her she didn't have to get another dose even though she's in the high risk category?!

So yet again I don't know what to do with regards the 2nd vaccination. Damn swine flu:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Will get mine tomorrow.
    Main reason is that I will be traveling a fair bit by plane in December and February. And also visiting France where the alert level is very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Will get mine tomorrow.
    Main reason is that I will be traveling a fair bit by plane in December and February. And also visiting France where the alert level is very high.

better safe than sorry,what would ya feel like if ya were advised to get the vacination by your doctor and ya didnt take his advice and ended up getting the swine flu?thats the flip side of the argument i suppose.she got it done the other day,keep on touching her by mistake on her sore arm ...ooops:)

Advertisement