Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have to buy a car/tight budget

Options
  • 14-11-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

Due to the untimely self combustion of my car I now need to buy another one :(
    I'm on a very limited budget as I'm also saving for a wedding.

I'm looking at 00/01 Renault Lagunas and Meganes, 1.4l+, preferably with a late 00 or 11 nct, because they have a high spec and a lower resale value than other models. My budget is €1.5-2k.

However, I will probably have to keep the car for 2 years so I want something reliable. I only drive at weekends and the odd evening.

I'm looking for comments/opinions on these models.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

For the kind of money your looking to spend just but a Corolla, lagunas and meganes of that age are gonna cause you heartache and walletache, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....1.4 16v Megane is the better of the two, loads for sale. There's an (older) one for sale around here, a 97 1.6 Auto, for only 1k, with NCT etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Due to the untimely self combustion of my car I now need to buy another one :(
    I'm on a very limited budget as I'm also saving for a wedding.

I'm looking at 00/01 Renault Lagunas and Meganes, 1.4l+, preferably with a late 00 or 11 nct, because they have a high spec and a lower resale value than other models. My budget is €1.5-2k.

However, I will probably have to keep the car for 2 years so I want something reliable. I only drive at weekends and the odd evening.

I'm looking for comments/opinions on these models.

Good luck trying to find a Megane/Laguna in that price range that doesn't cost you more than your budget to maintain it over 2 years. Instead, how about:

'02 Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mk1 Laguna wasn't a bad car, alot more reliable than the MkII, run out models were very well equipped too.

Might be worth having a look at:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200945195720767

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Dont want trouble? Get a Honda, sorted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Thanks for replies. Obviously I'd rather get a toyota/honda/VW but our budget is really tight. Talk about terrible timing. :(
    Confab wrote: »
    Good luck trying to find a Megane/Laguna in that price range that doesn't cost you more than your budget to maintain it over 2 years. Instead, how about:

'02 Mondeo
    I'd be wary as to why this is so cheap. I don't want to look a gifthorse in the mouth and all that but it's almost €2k cheaper than most 02 mondeos.

I'd already spotted the laguna and will go have a look at it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ladymerrion

Buy a Toyota. They are the most reliable. I admit that it isn't the most fancy car you can think of but who cares. We bought a 95 Corolla 5 years ago (in your price range) and it never gave any trouble. Last month it passed the nct again with no cost spend on it.

Idea: look around what older cars you see on the road all the time. Good luck trying to find a '95 volkswagen, ford or renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'd already spotted the laguna and will go have a look at it today.

Frying pan into the fire. What's this thing against Honda/Toyota? You can get some great example for €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I agree the laguna is asking for trouble

Nissan Primera, you could easily get a few hundred off the asking price as well

Like this, long NCT on it as well, depending on the previous owner easily another 100k left in her.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195397674

I've a 1995 back in Ireland with over 200,000 miles on it and barely a ounce of bother with it..and as said before you can't go wrong with a toyota or honda either

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Further proof that Laguna 2 reliability reputation are being backwards applied to other Renaults. Nothing at all wrong with Megane and Languna 1's. They are not Carina E's (thats a good things too though :-) ) but they didnt fall apart.

My dads been abusing a 00 Laguna for a couple of years now (boot packed full of tools and he wouldnt be the most sensitive of drivers, it's currently at aroudn 150,000 miles on its original components ) and the car hasnt missed a beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

if needs must ...how about some white goods kind of car?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200929194641276

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200850191168299

uninspiring and booooring, but should have decent reliability and be cheap to run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

How Strange I'd advise steering well clear of Renault in general. My first car was a diesel Renault Megavan and it was absolute heartache, a heap of junk. A friends mother has a 2003 nissan micra (which I believe has Renault mechanicals) and she is plagued with problems. Granted you can be lucky or unlucky with a car too though and I'm sure some people will reply telling me I'm talking through my ar$e for one reason or another but I'd never be inclined to touch a Renault again after my experiences.

For your budget I'd be concentrating more on condition/ known reliability of the car/ tyres/ remaining NCT/ when timing belt is due, stuff like that. You will be hard pushed to beat a 90's Toyota/ Honda/ Mitsubishi/ Mazda for reliability. Granted a lot of the models are not that exciting looking but I don't think that is your primary concern? BTW do you have TPF&T insurance cover? Can you make a claim for loss of your vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

oregano wrote: »

Would you sell it to him for a grand and a half, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Mk1 lagunas were a helluva lot better than the model that replaced them. Cheap too.

Thanks again, I def don't want to buy another money pit.

I'm going out to look at some avensis and accords now. Might have a look at that Mondeo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Cars of this age/price range are close to banger territory. When buying a cheap car for relaibility make is one of the LEAST important things to consider.

We have a 99 16v megane sitting outside as I type this, it is a one owner car that has been 100% reliable and apart from normal servicing, timing belt and tyres, the only other work that has been done to it is replacing the original battery. The OP can't have it as it's not for sale but if it were it would be <1000 quid. OP needs to keep his eye out for cars such as this of any make. Renaults will probably be cheaper than other makes due to this strange idea that certain cars "bulletproof" judged soley by the badge on the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Well, as said, later models unreliability can port back to earlier models, and a canny banger buyer (I say banger in name only, the car in question might be fine) can pick up a bargain.

Mk1 lagunas and meganes (by all accounts a rugged enough car) are good examples of this.

I'd rather have a good megane than a bad passat.

Took this for a test drive and seriously considering it. Sale price €1950. Immaculate condition

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Vectra/1.6-ESTA/200935195052217/advert?channel=CARS

We looked at lots of cars and if we got this we'd certainly be getting alot of car for our money. I've always thought of Opel as being reliable and boring which is exactly what we're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

stepbar wrote: »
    Would you sell it to him for a grand and a half, eh?

Not a hope! But someone will sell him a more mileagey one than that for 1500. The trouble I've found with Renaults is that should an engine problem occur, parts are scary dear, hence the resale has never been great...

OP, Make sure the Opel doesn't have any coolant problems - I've had a few with head gasket issues over the years...

• Advertisement

oregano wrote: »
    OP, Make sure the Opel doesn't have any coolant problems - I've had a few with head gasket issues over the years...
    That was the problem with my car all along and the head gasket blew yesterday.

How would I know if it had a coolant problem? It took a while for it to surface in my previous car.

That was the problem with my car all along and the head gasket blew yesterday.

How would I know if it had a coolant problem? It took a while for it to surface in my previous car.

You could do worse than an Opel How Strange. Drive a Vectra myself at the moment and they are not too bad to be fair. I did have to do the headgasket also but it was the only big job I have done in it thus far on it and it was perhaps down to the neglect of the previous owner or even perhaps due to the sheer mileage on the car. I have had people tell me that the headgasket going is not caused by the mileage on the car but I'd beg to differ on certain makes and model at least anyway. What will certainly cause it to go on the Vectra will be not changing coolant periodically, skimping and not changing water pump when doing the timing belt.

Also a few other pointers on the model of Vectra you are looking at. Timing belt is a big enough job on them and due every 40,000 miles. Quite labour intensive and you will require a complete tb kit including tensioner pulleys and water pump to ensure you have the job done right and avoid potential engine destruction. Don't expect too much change out of 500 euro for this job depending on garage you go to. Also rear bushings are a bit of a ba$tard on them for want of a better word! They do tend to give up quickly and moreso the rougher the roads you travel no doubt. Again can be quite expensive to replace depending where you go to. In fact if you do go down the Vectra route and are replacing these enquire in the garage you are getting them put in if they have the special tool to do so. I think more than likely they will be cheaper to do as less labour...garages that dont have it will end up dropping the axle and beating bushings in...more man hours and bushings will probably give sooner in account of the stress on them from said hammering! Fuel pump can croak it too especially if the fuel filter under the car is not changed periodically. About maybe 30 quid a pop for new fuel filter fitted versus around 400 maybe for fuel pump fitted. Also the ignition coil kit is pretty much a maintenance item that will give up in time. It wont absolutely break the bank but its one of those extra annoying things. Many modern cars would be the same in this regard and just replace it when it gives up. No need to worry about it causing engine damage immediately.

Other than this I reckon the Vectra is not too bad a car. Its comfortable enough on a long journey and not too bad on petrol in 1.6 guise anyway. I've a 2000 1.6 saloon and its by no means a fast car so would imagine the estate is that bit slower again. Can well keep up with traffic in average Irish road conditions though.

A well earned cup of coffee for myself after all that I think!:p

BTW I thought your car went up in flames from reading your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How Strange I'd advise steering well clear of Renault in general. My first car was a diesel Renault Megavan
    irrelevant, diesel. Petrol cars are simpler.
    ..A friends mother has a 2003 nissan micra (which I believe has Renault mechanicals) and she is plagued with problems.
    ....you believe incorrectly: there is nothing in an 03 Micra that has anything to do with Renault. Which goes to show: you can get a lemon with any badge you like on the front........;)
    For your budget I'd be concentrating more on condition/ known reliability of the car/ tyres/ remaining NCT/ when timing belt is due, stuff like that. You will be hard pushed to beat a 90's Toyota/ Honda/ Mitsubishi/ Mazda for reliability...
    ...all true, but OP said 00/01 or newer. You won't get one of those of that age for the budget.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    irrelevant, diesel. Petrol cars are simpler.

Still does not mean that they are any better or worth taking a punt on though galwaytt. In fact I believe most people in the know would recommend a diesel Renault before they would a petrol. Not that somebody in the know would recommend a Renault in the first place. Furthermore the Renault I drove was dogged with other problems aside from engine problems and was in general an inferior and tinny car to anything I drove since, not that anything I drove since was a top notch motor. My trusty mechanic once said to me regarding the Renault, the French should stick to making wine:p
    ....you believe incorrectly: there is nothing in an 03 Micra that has anything to do with Renault. Which goes to show: you can get a lemon with any badge you like on the front........;)

Ill correct you on above. Please see details on K12 (2003 - 2007) Micra in following article and also piece on Micra in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_March

...all true, but OP said 00/01 or newer. You won't get one of those of that age for the budget.

Fair enough you will be hard pushed to come across one from that year or newer for the money but I believe the OP said that they were looking at a 00/01 Megane/ Laguna or newer in their original post and they seemed to be welcoming ideas and input on this thought. Not necessairly the case that it would have to be an 00/01 car or newer is the way I would logically interpret their post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Would you consider any of these, I would think you would get any of them for very close to the 2k mark.

Ford Focus
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/ghia/200945195732435/advert?channel=CARS

Skoda Fabia (there ment to be okay)
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Fabia/1.4-clas/200926194444219/advert?channel=CARS

Opel Astra
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/200945195769298/advert?channel=CARS

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

BTW I thought your car went up in flames from reading your first post.
    Thanks johndaman66. Not quite up in flames but bellowing smoke. Looking back the engine always over heated and I got it serviced every year so I did look after it. I think the timing belt was replaced last year, plus a new battery and two new tyres recently. All in all, it was a money pit. I'd say a service cost on average €500 each time and my mechanic was very reasonable for labour so parts were the main costs.

My car was a skoda fabia and I think now I'll go for something else. I just associate it with an empty wallet :rolleyes:

There's an 1998 audi A4 in a garage near me which needs to be nct'd but I'm going to take a look at it this week. Also a 00 Avensis which I'll look at too. My hesitation about the vectra estate is that itwouldn't have the power because of it's size.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/1-owner-/200941195474192/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most cars in that class with 1.6 litre engines are sluggish because they are heavy enough. I had a Vectra like that but it was a 99 1.8 litre saloon and found it lacking in power, it was also heavy enough on juice and had numerouse stupid electrical problems.

The Avensis looks tidy enough from the pictures and very little generallyl goes wrong with that model. The 1.6 litre lean burn engine is very good on juice but as it is geared towards economy you have to really rev it to get it moving. Just check when the timing belt was last changed as I think on that engine it is ever 60k miles.

BTW I think €1950 is too much for a 00 Avensis, I think €1600 is a more realistic price, after all it is almost 10 years old at this stage.

Thanks johndaman66. Not quite up in flames but bellowing smoke. Looking back the engine always over heated and I got it serviced every year so I did look after it. I think the timing belt was replaced last year, plus a new battery and two new tyres recently. All in all, it was a money pit. I'd say a service cost on average €500 each time and my mechanic was very reasonable for labour so parts were the main costs.

My car was a skoda fabia and I think now I'll go for something else. I just associate it with an empty wallet :rolleyes:

There's an 1998 audi A4 in a garage near me which needs to be nct'd but I'm going to take a look at it this week. Also a 00 Avensis which I'll look at too. My hesitation about the vectra estate is that itwouldn't have the power because of it's size.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/1-owner-/200941195474192/advert?channel=CARS

Your very welcome How strange, only too happy to be of assistance if I can. Regarding vectra sure its not the fastest thing on the road but having said that its well able to keep pace with the traffic in our Irish road conditions for the most part to be fair. It would be adequate for taking the kids to school, in and out to work, down to the shops, etc. that sort of thing. If you intend lugging seriously heavy loads or racing your friends probably best to look elsewhere. I'd imagine it would be able to keep pace with the fabia if and assuming it was a 1.4 (which I don't know), there wouldn't be a lot in it anyway I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

id recommend a ford mondeo! great value for what you pay!

Advertisement