Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cctv cameras in school bathrooms

• 13-11-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

just wondering what are people's opinions of having cameras in school bathrooms? not in the actual cubicles but watching the common area of the bathrooms ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Why on earth would they be necessary?

If someone wanted to do something they shouldn't be doing they'd just rip it off the wall anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Eh, trying to see if there's anyone smoking probably. Cameras are a bit extreme though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

It's a bit intrusive imo. My old secondary had them in one of the lads jacks, supposedly to catch people writing graffiti.

I'm not convinced they were ever turned on though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Say they were to stop people smoking/mitching etc..
    Would this not continue just in the cubicles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

My old school had, one is the sink area of the bathroom, the onews which can be moved to any place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Eh, trying to see if there's anyone smoking probably. Cameras are a bit extreme though.

What about smoke detectors? When I was in 2nd year, smoking was pretty much totally eradicated by a mixture of smoke detectors, people being able to smell the smoke coming out the door, and teachers seeing all the muppets inside when the door was open. Also, the door into the toilets was only ever closed when people were smoking.

I'd personally be very freaked out by cameras in the jacks, no matter where they were pointing. There are other ways of stamping out vandalism, mitching and smokig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

My old school had cameras in the boys bathrooms to stop them generally being complete fúcking scumbags, because it was actually getting unreal.....

It seemed to work. In fairness, the guys only had one bathroom (the girls had two, even though there was more boys :confused:) and stuff was just getting beyond disgusting, so they had to do something. Possibly slightly intrusive, but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

they have one in the sink area in our school but everyone knows that it's a fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Considering they are in a school the chances are that no one looks at them unless a incident is reported due to the fact that your hardly going to bother hiring anyone to monitor them for 9 hours during the day. They ll be only used when a incident happens or if say the principal had suspicions that something was going on at a certain time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

They're not in the cubicles so I don't see why it's any different to having them in the corridors or anything, I don't mind someone seeing me wash my hands, and it's a public place so I don't really expect privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Stev_o wrote: »
    Considering they are in a school the chances are that no one looks at them unless a incident is reported due to the fact that your hardly going to bother hiring anyone to monitor them for 9 hours during the day. They ll be only used when a incident happens or if say the principal had suspicions that something was going on at a certain time.

Haha you would be suprised. My vice principal has 42" plasma on his wall in his office with live feeds of all the cameras in the school. None in the bathrooms but there is mic in it that picks up if anyone is in there. Bit OTT if ye ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Haha you would be suprised. My vice principal has 42" plasma on his wall in his office with live feeds of all the cameras in the school. None in the bathrooms but there is mic in it that picks up if anyone is in there. Bit OTT if ye ask me.

Not really that actually makes sense (the main monitor not the microphones) that's what usually a normal setup would be but i very much doubt your principal spends his 12 or so hours in school staring at a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Stev_o wrote: »

Well in our school, there in the principals office and it seems to me he sits there monitoring them for most of the day watching them. The amount of times someones been called out over the PA system because "I can see you at the locker from my office, come up to my office immediately"

But fortuneately there are none in the bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

I'd agree with them because of the amount of damage done by a small gang of scumbags.....toilets broken,sinks ripped off walls,fuses taken out of the hand dryer (creative but still scumbag ish),
    Everyday the floor of the lads jacks is flooded,really annoying.
    We want the CCTV cameras but apparently they can't put them in...legally.

Advertisement