Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basement or Attic

Options
  • 13-11-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

A couple of questions lads,

how hard is it to keep a basement dry?
    Are there different types of basements?
    How expensive for a brand new self build would a basement be?
    Are they practical?
    Any experiences from anyone who has one or who is building one?

how do you think they would compare to an attic conversion?
    would an attic in a 2500sqft bungalow be quite big or a bit cramped?

Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Unless your ground levels justify a basement then I wouldnt go trying to form one "artificially" by excavating large volumes of earth. Apart from the planning aspects (may not be allowed) basements can be costly enough and are always prone to ongoing problems especially with damp unless you have an A1 builder and a top class engineer to oversee the project.

Look at an attic job as it would be cheaper imo and weatherproof. Again the planners may have an opinion on this.

If its just additional space you need then why not consider making the house a bit bigger or having some form of rear annex that would incorporate a couple of rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Cheers Muffler,

Thanks for the advice i think your right!

Would anyone have any good or different plans for a decent bungalow or pictures just to give me some ideas???

Advertisement