Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam?

Options
  • 13-11-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I've called at least four 087 numbers over the last two days from a call centre. Could be more.

The call is rings unanswered and goes to voicemail but the voicemail is set up to sound like somebody has answered.

Goes like this:

Him: Hello
    Me: Hello, is that etc...
    Him: (interrupts) Yeah..
    Me: Start talking...
    Him: OK, hold on.

Sound of the phone being put down on a surface.

I hang on for a minute.

In the background there is the sound of him calling somebody to the phone. There are other background noises like a tv and people activity.

This goes on until I hang up, five minutes in one case.

I have all these calls recorded. Each call is an exact copy of the other. It's well done, timing is perfect etc.

I'm wondering if this is a scam, maybe being diverted to a premium number. Or might it be a "don't bother me" situation?

Anyone come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

eman66 wrote: »
    I've called at least four 087 numbers over the last two days from a call centre. Could be more.

The call is rings unanswered and goes to voicemail but the voicemail is set up to sound like somebody has answered.

Goes like this:

Him: Hello
    Me: Hello, is that etc...
    Him: (interrupts) Yeah..
    Me: Start talking...
    Him: OK, hold on.

Sound of the phone being put down on a surface.

I hang on for a minute.

In the background there is the sound of him calling somebody to the phone. There are other background noises like a tv and people activity.

This goes on until I hang up, five minutes in one case.

I have all these calls recorded. Each call is an exact copy of the other. It's well done, timing is perfect etc.

I'm wondering if this is a scam, maybe being diverted to a premium number. Or might it be a "don't bother me" situation?

Anyone come across this?

:)

I've done this to annoy friends before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Its someone messing with you,your hearing there voicemail when you think its actually a person on the other end,when the "person" says hang on,your left sitting there waiting like a fool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Hahaha.. oh dear :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

The phone provider is looking into this. Definitely something going on, it's getting more frequent. When we do manage to get through to the number, they know nothing about it, i.e., they have no 'joke' voicemail message set up. When dialled from another number (e.g. a mobile number) this doesn't happen.

Advertisement