Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me out folks

Options
  • 13-11-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭

04453616c7465645f5ffe67f7f1e0747380e1ef0754c8c611b2229e0fe5839dbf86a8bf011172a22e4c1d9316dd34463d81afdaec.jpeg

Can anyone tell me if the tattoo he has on the front of his shoulder has a specific name??(The black thing with the swirl in the center?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I'm pretty sure it's a borneo rose or rosette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I'm pretty sure it's a borneo rose or rosette.

Yeah, I think your right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

yup, a borneo or dayak tribal :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Definately a Borneo Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I found this answer on yahoo answers, if you want some infoz.
    the following is info. from a tattoo message board about the meaning of it....check the link and you can decide who's right and wrong. what I pasted below sounds most promising

A lot of what has been said is WRONG! I actually come from borneo, and i have the bunga teruong on my shoulders. I hate to see it bastardised by people who don't understand the meaning or significance of it. For starters, there is no "Borneo tribe"!!!! There are many different tribes, some of which practice tattooing, and some that don't. Among many, there are the kayan, kenyah, kelabit, murut, berawan, penan, iban etc etc...The tribe that are the most prominent at tattooing are the Iban. This is where the bunga teruong, or "borneo rose" comes from.

The spirals in the middle are meant to symbolise the life cycle. Some villages say that it originally came from the spirals on the belly of tadpoles, and when you actually go find a tadpole as i have done, you can see this pattern. The bunga teruong is supposed to guard the wearer from evil spirits. Some of the other tattoos on different parts of the body are for different purposes. They used to tattoo the hands if they were headhunters.

The bunga teruong should always be done in pairs. They can be on the back, buttocks, shoulders and/or chest. NEVER, should they be done singularly. They are supposed to protect both sides of the body from evil. Just getting one would be silly. As to the number of petals; whilst they are all from the Iban or Dayak tribe, different villages would have slightly different designs.

To the guy that said something about the polynesian war... i don't know what the hell you're talking about. Borneo is not in polynesia, and we have never had polynesians invade our land. In fact polynesians mostly originated from borneo and the surrounding islands, and travelled the seas to reach polynesia.

Please don't get this tattoo unless you truly understand the symbolism behind them. I and my fellow countrymen get furious when we see silly westerners with these ancestral designs who know nothing about the way we live, nor our culture. If you truly respect our culture, and have some proper reason behind wanting to get the bunga teruong, then please do the required research and get it done properly.

I know there are good westerners out there who take things seriously and respect us, but there are many who know nothing, and destroy the meaning behind our culture because they respect nothing. Stop ruining that which you don't own.

PLEASE SHOW US SOME RESPECT!!!!
    Source: http://www.tattoonow.com/facemaster.cfm?task=message_list&thread_index=3495&generate=1
    Does look cool though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement