Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 VW Polo problem

Options
  • 13-11-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a 08 Polo sportline with very low mileage. Last January we sent it in for its first service, which was done. However a week later the car was under reving down to around 300-400 rpm when you would change down gear and break to stopping at say a round about or T junction. The rev counter then fluctuates between the normal idle position, about 800 rpm, and 300-400rpm. The result is that you have to really put the foot down when pulling away or it will cut out or shudder (due to lack of power) when taking off again – particularly if the engine is dropping toward the 300-400 rpm.

We sent it back into the VW garage and they said it was a software problem with the engine computer and they updated it. The problem seamed to go away until two weeks ago. So we contacted the garage again and they took it in for a full service and to look at it again. So after a €225 service and a “good” once over, this time they said it was the “throttle body” that was causing it. So last week the car was in again and that was changed. Now they said it would take it a few days to settle down again – however the car seams to be doing the same thing again.

The problem is that when the engine is idle, it will intermittently have a flux idle between 300-400rpm and the normal 800rpm that it should idle at.

[FONT=&quot]Has anyone had a similar problem with a VW Polo 1.2 petrol model? What is wrong?[/FONT]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Ask your garage to perform a throttle body adaptation. This procedure is essential after cleaning or replacment of the throttle body has been done. If not you will have the unsteady, fluctuating idle speed described. Im assuming the garage has a VAG com or similar diagnostic computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

I assume that was already done... we are dealing with a very large VW main dealership in leinster and this work is being done under warranty. Anyway rang them again today and they said that we need to leave it for another week before we bring it back in. A new throttle body can take a few days to run in.

I'll ask them about the proceedure you mention when I ring them the next time. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement