Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleedin' radiator ...........

Options
  • 13-11-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I was attempting to bleed my radiators and all was going fine 'til I got to the last one. I guess I gave it one rotation too many and all of a sudden its like Saudi Bloody Arabia in my kitchen.
    Managed to get it back on again and clean up the mess.

Just want to make sure that its ok to turn the heat back on again. I am pursuming that the radaiator will just be filled up again from the boiler?

Tx,

Comments

When you bleed rads the water you are drawing must be replenished, this either comes from a top up tank in the loft which means you don't have to do anything or you have a sealed system which would mean you would have to physically open a tap at the filling point and refill up to 1 1/2bar, if your boiler has a pressure guage then it may indicate a sealed system, if you water has dropped off then the boiler should switch it's self off if there is any problem so you will soon find out. If the water was black then you should think about getting the system power flushed to prevent any future problems, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

gary71 wrote: »
    When you bleed rads the water you are drawing must be replenished

Great advice. So many people just bleed radiators and don't realise that they are partially draining the system at the same time. Bleeding is the only way to remove air but it is critical that system pressure is maintained. If the system runs low on water then there will not be enough left in the system to exchange heat to the living space. Bleeding without refilling (especially with a sealed system) can actually result in greater inefficiency.

Advertisement