Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line Activation

Options
  • 13-11-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

I plan to get Smart broadband but they told me that I have to get Eircom to activate the line first. When I called Eircom they told me activation is free but then they asked for my bank account details to set up a direct debit. Otherwise they required a €150 deposit. I was told that I would be only billed for the part of the month that is use the line rental directly and the rest will be billed to the service provider that I choose.

I didn’t agree to give them my bank details and they said they would send a contract by post. I received it, but there is a €121.93 fee for activation. It then says “if you ordered your service during a promotional period your connection fee will appear as a credit on your first eircom bill”

My question is will Eircom charge me this amount if I switch the service to Smart after getting the line activated? Am I right in being suspicious with Eircom as there is no email address for customer care so I cannot get written proof?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

carpy wrote: »
    Hi

I plan to get Smart broadband but they told me that I have to get Eircom to activate the line first. When I called Eircom they told me activation is free but then they asked for my bank account details to set up a direct debit. Otherwise they required a €150 deposit. I was told that I would be only billed for the part of the month that is use the line rental directly and the rest will be billed to the service provider that I choose.

I didn’t agree to give them my bank details and they said they would send a contract by post. I received it, but there is a €121.93 fee for activation. It then says “if you ordered your service during a promotional period your connection fee will appear as a credit on your first eircom bill”

My question is will Eircom charge me this amount if I switch the service to Smart after getting the line activated? Am I right in being suspicious with Eircom as there is no email address for customer care so I cannot get written proof?

Thanks in advance

where do you live, there are ways around things like this, is there a line in the house already?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carpy

Dublin city centre. Yes there is a line in the house but I get no dialling tone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tell them you own the gaff and not renting it .

But they told me that activation was free as there is a promotion at the moment. My more cynical side tells me that it is only free if I get Eircom broadband, as the credit has to be used up with Eircom . If what I am suspicious of is what they are doing is this not illegal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If the line ws disconnected before the 31 dec 2008 , and is in Dublin, then line rental is free for 10 months after reconnection . You should email them and confirm the offer which is free connection and free line rental .

In the email get them to clarify whether a 1 year bundle will be discounted by the line rental amount and by how much per month and whether this is averaged over the year or applied monthly .

You may find that it is simpler to just take a broadband package not a bundle.

• Advertisement

thanks. Yes the line was disconnected back in 2005. The issue is I don't want Eircom broadband, phone or have anything got to do with them! But to the activate the line I had to go through them. It seems if I use another supplier I will have to pay this tax. Also I couldn't find any method to email them on the website and I can't prove what they tell me on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

carpy wrote: »
    But to the activate the line I had to go through them.

No you don't. They just want a direct debit set up, as it's simpler for them. It doesn't tie you into anything, and as soon as you switch to another provider, it will stop. You can cancel it yourself anyway by writing to the bank.

You will have a certain amount to pay to eircom anyway, as it will take time before you get your account number, and then more to switch over.

Yes I have no problem paying the line rental to them at the start until I get set up with the other provider. Are you saying they won't come take the €120 our of my account if I set up the direct debit. Direct debits are not that easy to cancel from my experience. And I have nothing in writing that the activation is free. It says “if you ordered your service during a promotional period your connection fee will appear as a credit on your first eircom bill”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I had the same thing. They never charged me for the line activation.

I did ring them when that letter arrived though just to confirm I wouldn't be charged for it.

koHd

Did you pay by direct debit and change broadbank provider?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I'm also very interested to know how you got on?

I'm getting Vodafone Phone and internet. But eircom want 121 euro.

would Vodafone pay this for me?

With the DD method do they take out 150 initially and then unless you have a ISP that they are partnered with you will have 30 deducted each month until i sign up to Vodafone?

Advertisement